CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-02-2004, 06:07 AM   #1
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
If someone sticks faithfully (say 95% of the time to account for minor injuries and special occasions) to the WOD, is there a certain level of fitness they can expect to attain after 1,2,5,10 years?

Say you wanted a 500lb DL and a 6 minute mile, would crossfit get you there or would you have to supplement with added jogging?

(For technical lifts I mean crossfit on top of practice, obviously.)
Old 11-02-2004, 06:20 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Crossfit is a General Physical Preparation (GPP) program. The goal is to exhibit elite fitness across all parameters: aerobic, anaerobic, strength, power, balance, accuracy, etc. If you have a large bench, but don't train aerobically, your bench may lower, stay the same or even improve slightly, but...you will improve your running, sprinting, and pullup numbers. After a year solid on CF you wwill never be far from any fitness goal. In approximately a month you could be ready for a marathon or a powerlifting meet. You might not win but you won't embarass yourself either.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:24 AM   #3
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Larry, I've been on CF for a month and have seen some excellent improvements in all aspects of fitness. I think in a month I would still be a long ways away from not humiliating myself in a PL meet or a marathon race...
Old 11-02-2004, 09:37 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Paul, I meant after a year of training (a crossfit training base, if you will) it would take you a month of speciality training to compete in those events. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:29 AM   #5
Ross Greenberg

Profile:

That deadlift sounds about right, but I'm sure most of the crossfit regulars at the HQ can run a lot faster than a six minute mile.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:17 PM   #6
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Ross, and they only do the WOD or do they do more? Then again, maybe a 6 minute mile was aiming low: I'm a completely average fellow and I can run a 6:30 mile after 2 months of CF.

Larry, very interesting. I'm looking forward to the fitness levels I can attain in the next year. :-) If you don't mind sharing, what kind of progress have you personally made over the last year?
Old 11-02-2004, 04:18 PM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Paul, at 42 (43 this month), I could complete 40+ pullups, 1 RM Bench 300 (use to be able to bench 315), run 5k in about 24 minutes or less, 1.5 miles in 9:30, did a 30 mile bike ride on a whim this summer with no ill effects (on a crappy bike), maintain about 6-7% bodyfat, and complete the WOD as written 3 days on 1 day off (actually my best achievement), could do muscleups, presses to handstand, L-sits, etc. I really didn't have any of this capacity until I started doing CF on a regular basis. I'm not saying this to brag (reading back over this made me cringe) but consistant use of this program really is that good!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #8
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Larry,
I wouldn't call it bragging. Those are great achievements! Ones I hope I can match in about a year's time.
Also, old guys like you give me something to be when I grow up!!!:proud:(you've got me by 6 months!!)
Old 11-03-2004, 01:15 PM   #9
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Larry - happy birthday. I turned 43 last month so I get to be the old lady!

Paul - it might interest you to read some of the archives under testimonials. Over and over again you read of people making amazing gains in fitness through crossfit. Also, many, if not most, of us also train in another sport or sports. For some it is at a professional level and for others it is just a fun hobby. I believe that the What Is Fitness issue of CF Journal (one of the free ones - Oct2002) mentions that part of crossfit is "regularly learn and play new sports". So, to answer your question about do folks do more? Yes. But for many their main fitness regime is crossfit while thier sport is only enhanced by their work in crossfit.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:59 PM   #10
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Larry, thanks for sharing...very inspiring. I'd be very happy with a few notches below what you've attained. Maybe I can reach those levels as well. :-)