CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Justin Andrew Brown

Profile:
Future SWCC here hopefully.

Hey, new at these but my buddy rock climbs and told me if I am going to be doing special ops check these workouts out. As of right now I am weight training and doing a running and swimming workout that was posted online. I am already big enough (5'8 163lbs) I can leg press around 430 and bench around 265. But I know these isn't going to help me in the long run and I need to just start getting some lean muscle. I played soccer all throughout high school so I know the running wont be a problem but I don't know any type of workout to start. I mean should i just do the WOD every day until I leave? Feel free to email me with anything or just write back on this. Thanks for any support or feedback you could give me.
P.S. This stuff look awesome, I want to go get stuff to start my own gym.

Justin Brown
Justinbrow56@aol.com
Old 12-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Annlee Hines

Profile:
Re: Future SWCC here hopefully.

Justin, Welcome Aboard! We've had several members through here who have gone on to SpecOps. One is now at GLTC, with a ticket to BUD/s.

Do the WODs, and add running and swimming. You may want to check out the WODs posted by a CF Affiliate, navyseals.com -- http://navyseals.com/crossfit-workout-day (WFS).

Note that comment - when we provide hyperlinks (and most posts have them, it seems), we always note whether it's "Work Family Safe" or not. The moderators will let you post something that's not entirely safe (bad language, maybe) IF you note it as such.

Stick with it - this stuff works, and it's what the teams are going to more and more.

BTW - note the date on Trevor's posts, and the progress he made: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=21672 (WFS)

When you're ready to work on swimming, use the search function - I posted a couple of links to videos of the CSS a while back.

Last edited by Annlee Hines : 12-28-2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: added link to previous thread
Old 12-30-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
Justin Andrew Brown

Profile:

Alright thanks yea, I knew they had there I just really didnt know what it was until my buddy got me into it. But Like yesterday I was was suppose to do Kettlebell swings and my gym doesnt have kettlebells what else could I use to do the same thing?
Old 12-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
Annlee Hines

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Andrew Brown View Post
Alright thanks yea, I knew they had there I just really didnt know what it was until my buddy got me into it. But Like yesterday I was was suppose to do Kettlebell swings and my gym doesnt have kettlebells what else could I use to do the same thing?
Dumbbells - roughly the same weight. You can't really get the wrist work at the top with dumbbells, but you can move the same weight through the same basic range of motion. A lot of people do DB swings, for instance, instead of KB swings.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Justin,

I am a former boat guy currently on shore duty preparing to retire. I went through SWCC class 23 in 1997. One of my friends is/was an instructor there now. Actually, several are. All of this as a way to establish my bona fides. Learn the underwater recovery sidestroke and swim it regularly. Run in soft sand, preferably up and down sand dunes if possible. You probably need more running than the main page prescribes, but I really wish I had Crossfit before I went SWCC. The two things that threw people during the PST and training were swimming and pullups right after each other. CF will cover the pullups after the metabolic hit, you just have to ensure that the swimming is covered. Go to basic more than ready for school. NAVY BASIC WILL NOT HELP YOUR CONDITIONING (or at least it shouldn't, if you're ready for school.) Practice your attention to detail as well, that's a big adjustment to military life and especially NSW.

It's a great time, I loved most every minute of it, the travel was awesome, the people are incredible and I've had experiences I never imagined. PM me or respond here if you have any questions. Very Respectfully, Bob
BM1 (SWCC/SW) Robert D Taylor Jr USN
Old 12-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
John McBrien

Profile:

Justin,

I've uploaded two files that you may find helpful (wfs). Welcome to the CF community and happy New Year!
Attached Files
File Type: doc SFAS Preparation.doc (42.0 KB, 556 views)
File Type: pdf Theoretical Approach to SFAS.pdf (36.7 KB, 4205 views)
Old 12-30-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
Michael di Massi

Profile:

I do some workouts that blend swimming with crossfit elements. A limitation of CF is that is goes with minimal equipment, but for swimming you really need a 50m pool. I am recently registered on this forum, so I wouldn't be surprised id this topic is already covered in depth. If your thread searching-fu is weak, you might try this:

Stretch and warm up (dry).
100m warmup, any stroke.
Sprints: (50M + (get out) 10 pull up + 50M ) * 4
Breathing exercise: 50M with a breath every 8 strokes, then 100M with a breath every 6 then 150M with a breath every 4.
Treadwater: Hold 10lbs, overhead, treading water for (2.5 minutes. x 4)
U/W Recovery Side x 250 in 5 minutes (goal).
100M warmdown, any stroke.

Swimming greatly compliments running speed and endurance. This is a reasonable starter workout.

Annlee, love your gym, my regards to M and R.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Good luck with the SWCCs Justin. Devour the content on this site and check out Total Immersion swimming.