CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Lauren Reed

Profile:
My Crossfit future

I am 18 years old, in my first year of college, and have been doing crossfit WOD's for a several months now. I would like to become a future crossfit affiliate. I would like to know what type of college majors/degrees or experience would be helpful for me to achieve this goal.

Any advice would be apprciated, thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: My Crossfit future

Not an expert but I think Kinesiology would be good to look into.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Paul Findley

Profile:

Personally, I would get a degree in something else that interested me, and pursue training in parallel, you never know what you are going to want to do in 4 years.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
Caleb Gregory

Profile:

I agree with Paul. I am a new affiliate in TN, and I graduated college with an exercise science degree. My partner in the affiliation graduated with business degree and just ended up in fitness. It really helps to have him on board for the business side of running an affiliate. I got lucky, in that I love doing what I went to school for.

To make a long story short...........Find a passion in school and go for it. If it ends up being something like exercise science, great, it goes hand in hand with CrossFit.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
Jason Zemla

Profile:

hi lauren do what you want to do you can always make any degree somewhat useful.
Your Little buddy,
short fellow
Old 10-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
John D. Burch

Profile:

Congratulations! A degree isn't always necessary and most of what you could learn will be antithetical to what Crossfit teaches... I'm not saying you sholdn't study (quite the oppoiste) I just don't believe any university could prepare you for the rigors of being a business owner.

Here are some questions that will need to be answered if you want to make this a well paying business...

Do you find your thoughts during "free time" floating to solve a better way to train or to train others?

Do you follow the WOD's near religously as prescribed and call people on it if they don't?

Does walking in/near a Globo gym make you sick to your stomach?

Do you communicate your ideas well?

Are you gregarous/hardworking/persistant in all apsects of your life?

Could you block out the naysayers who predict your financial doom?

Will you train yourself as hard as you want to train people and visa-versa?

If you answered "yes" to all of these questions then you might have a shot... if not take up something "safe" in college and try to get a repsectable profession.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
Amanda C. May

Profile:

Hi Lauren, I am 30 years old, have been training for 14 years, professionally for 6. I don't have a college degree but am an Independent Contractor. Success will be acheived by you if you have the drive and determination to do so. As far as a college degree maybe something in Business Admin or similar.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
Corey Duvall

Profile:

Biomechanics might be a good one if you are particularly analytical. Since finding crossfit I have become quite fond of biomechanics, trying to understand why things work the way they do, and if done improperly why they are improper. Read a lot of Mark Rippetoe's stuff (books, CFJ articles). He presents a great lay-person view of biomechanics, if it gets you drooling then I'd suggest pursuing that.

In response to John: I agree with education often being antithetical to the crossfit principles... Many are often too blind or too apprehensive to approach the world with Crossfit colored glasses, stuck in their old paradigms.
I answered yes to all of your questions except one... I don't get sick to my stomach passing a globo-gym, I drool. I see lots of people working out with zero success. Willing to put in the work, throw away so much money and see nothing for it. They are ALL potential clients. "If I taught you to move, took your effort and put it into some worthwhile exercise combinations you would be so impressed with your improvements you'd wonder why you never worked out this way." Stop inside that globogym and get a client, don't shun them for their ignorance.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
Steven Bourdage

Profile:

You should major in business and/or marketing if you have any interest in that. You can learn the science and biomechanics on your own. You will go much furthur if you know how to run and manage a business.

This is just my two cents. I have a bachelors degree in human biology, a second bachelors in Exercise Physiology, many certifications (non CF related) and more...

With that said...in hindsight i believe a business degree would have been more helpful
Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
Katrina A. Burton

Profile:

I would suggest studying in a combined degree program ie: Kin/Management.
That way you have the anatomy, training, nutrition background from kinesiology and the business side of it from management. A combined degree is 5 years at most universities in Canada.