CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-11-2006, 07:13 AM   #1
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Was anyone else surprised about THREE people quitting in one episode?? I couldn't believe it. The LAST thing you would EVER hear me say on national tv is "I quit!"

Tait - you're not in the right frame of mind? You know how long the show would last and you knew they bring fighters back if there is an injury. I'm sure you'd be in the right frame of mind after the first punch. Suck it up man. Out of all three, you should have been the guy who jumped at this opportunity considering the rip off decision against Josh.

Christian - you were scared about getting your *** whooped on national tv? How about being a quitter on national tv?? I'd rather get my *** kicked than quit before I started.

Kalibe - you couldn't fight through 4 minutes of pain? I know you're old, but damn bro, 4 minutes!!!! You can tolerate anything for 4 minutes!!

The really crappy thing about all of this is that it takes attention away from the guys who WANT to fight.

Good bye gentleman, I hope I never see you fight a big name show again!

Ross - you are the man! No hesitation, no BS, just straight out, "bring it on man" ... gotta love it. Even though I think bisping will kick your ***, I like your attitude!!
Old 06-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I can understand the frustration some people are experiencing watching the show -- but quite frankly, none of us have any idea what we would do put in the same position, because we have no way of knowing what that position even is. What you see on the show is only a fraction of the time spent in that house, and really doesn't convey what the experience is truly like.

I don't know anyone who's gone on that show that didn't come back really screwed up because of it mentally -- everyone I've had interaction with had to spend a couple weeks getting their senses back and coming back down to reality, because the world they're put in on that show is pretty warped.

And if you've seen any of those guys fight prior to the show, you know that NO ONE on that show is fighting up to their ability. It's impossible to in the environment they're in.

I know that Tait felt he made the best decision for himself and he does not regret it at all. And to give you a little insight, Tait posted this on another forum, and I'm going to cut and paste it here for you to see:

"One and only time I say this I hope. We knew we were going to be asked to fight. It was a day b4 weighins if memory serves. I was to be the first in the room with Dana, Ken and Tito. I asked Mike and Kristian if they were hot for the spot in the semis, cuz at that point, I just didnt care either way. They both said they wanted it. I told them ok, "i will take myself out of it then." I told Dana that I'd go, but wasnt 100% into it and that other guys were. I didnt wanna take their spot. Either way, thats the truth of the matter."
Old 06-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I don't doubt it's a pain in the *** to live in those conditions. But let's get realistic. They got to train, eat, and sleep for free. Not to mention the opportunity to land a huge contract. I can think of MUCH worse situations to endure for a couple of months.

Ross didn't really seemed phased by all of it ... but who knows, maybe the edit monster made him say it.

;)
Old 06-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #4

Profile:

it's just a drag seeing people blow opportunities. but like becca said, it's easy to believe from the couch we'd do it differently; who knows what we'd actually do.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I'm not saying there aren't worse conditions. I'm saying these conditions led to emotional and physical stress that 'caused these guys not to be functioning at their best.

If by train, eat and sleep for free, you mean giving up your apartment, packing all your things up into a storage unit, quitting your job, having zero contact with the outside world (including no TV, no newspapers, no computers), have no communication with any friends or loved ones, living in a house full of people who all want you to lose, and in the case of Team Shamrock, being 'trained' by someone who doesn't have a clue. Not to mention having ZERO privacy for the entire duration of their stay.

And if by huge contract, you mean the opportunity to fight for a couple grand. The contract is incredibly restrictive and the money is not good. The main advantage of the show is exposure and endorsements. And as we've seen in previous seasons, from Nate Quarry and Chris Leben, you don't even have to win on the show to do well afterwards. Quarry quit when he was injured.

All of those guys went into the show with a desire to be fighters - they wouldn't have made the sacrifice, emotionally and financially, unless they really wanted to do this. We're not all champions at everything we try, these guys just have the made the choice to have their journey chronicled on television. I don't think it's implausible that someone who went in WANTING to be a fighter, might have a change of heart, or have been worn down by the situation. And especially in light of how things get edited, of course they'll be twisted to make things more dramatic.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I have no doubt it would be stressful and wreak havoc on their emotional and physical well being. But obviously it doesn't affect everyone - Ross chose to fight. I guess that's the difference. Some people just want it more than others. And I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for people who threw away opportunities that many people would love to have. It's one thing to try and fail, but to not even try?? Sorry, you can't defend that.

I do find it a little funny that you try to make this opportunity seem like such a bad thing. They knew the agreement before they signed the paper - if it was so bad, why sign it? Because despite the negative aspects, it's still better than what they were doing.

As for Nate, he couldn't fight because of injury. Nothing wrong with that. Mike wasn't able to come back because of his nose, no hard feelings. But when you're healthy and cleared and you refuse a fight because you miss your friends - TFB. Suck it up for a few more weeks and go down swinging. They are stuck in a hotel during those few weeks, you might as well be in the main house with an opportunity to knock some heads.

I do agree they probably twisted the editing to make it more dramatic, but the bottom line is they quit. As far as I'm concerned, it's no different than Noah or Eli.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #7
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I mentioned Nate, because you criticized Kaleb for not fighting with an injury. I know people who made the same criticism of Nate - that his injury wasn't that bad and he could have continued on. So, I bring it up to point out a potential double standard.

Obviously the opportunity to be on the show is a big one, as I mentioned, these guys wouldn't have all made the sacrifices they did if it wasn't something they wanted. They all did try -- none of the guys that quit went out without at least one fight.

Would you really rather Tait have taken a fight when he didn't truly want something and deprive someone else, who clearly did want it badly, of that opportunity? That seems worse to me, especially when those other people expressed to Tait they wanted it badly.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
Becca,
I think you make the situation sound a lot worse then it is. All the fighters I know are some of the most mentally strong people I have ever met, and would die for the same opportunity that these guys are throwing away. How long is taping for this show? 6-8 weeks? Being in the military you can be gone for up to a year, with no contact with the real world. 6 weeks training, doing what you supposedly love to do, that does sound horrible. I am not passing judgment on anyone, because you are right I am not in their position, But if I had a chance at my dream, I wouldn't give it away due to the chance of failure.
Now in Kalebs defense, I have had bruised ribs before and ribs are no joke. So that sucks for him
Old 06-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #9
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Taping was about 45 days, give or take a few days. And I'm familiar with how the military works, and I would never compare it to that -- my brother is currently six months into an eighteen month stint in Iraq and I don't think anyone would try to say that's not far worse.

My point is that any one of those guys that was on the show was just like the guys you know that would have 'died' for a slot and never quit -- but they did quit and we can never know what they experienced that got them to that point. I think people imagine they're going to behave a certain way and then when they're in an environment and worn down by a lot of physical and emotional stressors, they potentially behave differently.

So we can sit here and postulate and judge, but I know from talking with guys that were on each season of the show, that there's a lot that goes down that most people never know about. Just like someone can say Noah's a loser for leaving over a girl, but what about the fact he was clearly manipulated by the producer's who planted the letter that provoked him leaving?

Yes, the show is a great opportunity. Yes, Tait passed up something that someone else might have jumped at. But I still think he made the choice that was best for him -- if he knew he no longer wanted the slot, and other people did, then it was right of him to pass on it. He went on that show really really wanting to win - you can trust me on that.

(Message edited by Ring_Girl on June 11, 2006)
Old 06-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #10
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
Like i said not passing judgement, I respect their choice just wonder if they will regret it one day. At the same time they got a ton of exposure so i am sure they will be fine.