CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 06-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
Garrett Smith

Profile:
After an hour of work, I had my Power Rings threaded and mounted to I-bolts in the ceiling of my garage, along with some hooks to hold them out of the way. I thought, my peeps at CF wouldn't be happy with me if I didn't do something with them tonight (it was around 8pm).

History first. I train in my garage. I got this pair of rings (my first) a month or two ago and hadn't picked up the I-bolts until recently. I don't have dip bars. I've tried some bad ring dips once at the last CF seminar (after I was already completely out of juice). My dip substitutions typically consist of pushups on handles, touching my nose to the floor, followed by tricep bench dips--both done to the prescribed # of dips. I always felt these two exercises covered the ROM of the shoulder in related pressing motions to dips. I don't have a proper pullup bar, either. All of my pullups consist of L-pullups and low body rows, done inside my cheesy old Weider rack with a BB in it.

So, I don't ever practice dips nor false-grip pullups, and especially not the transition of a muscle-up. Some advantages that I did have were gained at the CF seminar and through reading the CF journal--the false grip and the importance of keeping the rings tight to the body through the transition. I'll also add that I practiced, oh, maybe 3-5 transitions on the rings at CFHQ at the seminar *with my feet on the floor*. That was almost a month ago now.

I set the rings at what I think are a decent height. I'm on my knees setting up the false grip. Inhale, tighten the body, pull the rings close, rotate through, and next thing I know I'm banging my head on the roof!

After going inside, yelling for joy, I brought my wife out to the garage and banged out another one!!! As an ex-gymnast, I hoped she would have given me more credit, but I'm going to chalk it up to her being really tired.

So, I would like to point out that doing pushups, tricep bench dips, L-pullups, and body rows, along with all of the other typical WOD exercises, provided me with enough "fitness" to do a muscle-up on my very first try. That's also including knowing some very important form cues before I started.

Holy fitness, Batman, this CrossFit stuff really works!

On to doing all of the CFWU dips as ring dips...:proud:
Old 06-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Nice one bro!
I knew you had it in you!
Old 06-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
Frank Menendez

Profile:
YES! Good job buddy! I can't wait to get my rings, they are so versatile and a great tool to build upper body strength. Forget ring dips, go right to the inverted cross :D
Old 06-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Thanks guys! :proud:

Now I want to find a rope to climb, since I was too cashed out at the seminar on the last day to do that either...:sad:
Old 06-13-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Congrats amigo!!

Brad
Old 06-16-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Way to go, Dr. G!
Old 06-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
Aushion Chatman

Profile: