CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-28-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Carolyn Sowden

Profile:
Hi, I'm new. Bought the PVC for making parellette today & wondered: Do I need to Glue it?
Also how does a Buddylee jump rope compare in feel to a leather one? I bought one a couple yrs ago for $14 at Play it Again and it always felt too short to me even though I'm only 5'3". It was 9 ft.Not that I'm a competent jumproper! But I got so frustrated with it I gave it to the cats to play with after a while.
While I'm at it, is a Nordic track any decent substitution for a rower if I use the arm things? We've got a weight machine that I could do rowing on the floor if I could figure out how to rig a glider to sit on, but......
Thanks.:happy:
Old 04-28-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
1. Glue them. Its easy, just be aware the glue solifies really quickly. You will have time for maybe 1 or 2 quick adjustments to the angle of the bond.

2. I am 6'2". 9 feet is slightly too short for me. If you stand on the center of the rope with feet together the handles should come up to your armpits. I suspect your rope is too long and could be shortened. As for Buddylee, I just saw them today, pricey!.

3. I don't think you will get the same result from a nordic track, with only a fraction of the hip opening. Check out the archive for the homemade rower (with a skateboard heh)...or better yet...Sell/Trade the Nordic Track for a C2 rower. I got mine at play-it-again and I love it.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
Carolyn Sowden

Profile:
Darn it. Hope I can make it square before the glue dries!
A skateboard! Why didn't I think of that? Unfortunately the Nordic Track is not mine to sell. Right now it's a shelf for the fan.
Anybody else have a rope comment? I was wondering if the Buddylees would be more fluid than a leather rope.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Carolyn Sowden

Profile:
Another related question- I have made the 2 bottom support pieces each 6 inches long. Will that put the Parellettes the right distance apart or is it too wide? I don't want to overlap them. And yes, I am using end caps.
Thanks.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

One other option that has worked very well for me:

Make the 2 bottom support pieces extend out about 3 or 4 inches, but then add another 90-degree elbow out there at the end and connect them to each other . . . so the two supports are connected to each other by "outriggers", and the whole thing makes a large rectangle on the floor.

The width ends up being 8 - 10 inches (because the 90-degree bends add another inch or two), and the length is however long you make it (mine is about 14 inches or so).

The advantage of this is that you do not have to glue it . . . assembled, it is VERY stable, but still breaks down completely for easy carrying.

I'll try to get a digital picture together and post it.