CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #11
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Re: Weekly linear progression strength program?

You can maintain linear strength progress lifting heavy twice/week; it's what I'm doing now, with conditioning WODs and skills practice (karate) on other days. Though progress is slower, it also means I'm more completely recovered before each heavy session than when I took cycles of SS on 3 days/week.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
Kurt A Gross

Profile:

Search for Dr Doug McGuff's "Body by Science" vids on youtube, or buy the book. His claim is that most people take at least a week to recover from a hard, full-body workout. Supposedly, you will make steady strength gains, without pateaus for a long time. He advocates machines, and a time under tension strategy to fatigue the muscle. His basic workout is 5 compound exercises to failure, one day per week. No rest between exercises. Of course, he suggest some intense physical activity (metcon), several times a week also.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #13
Daniel Ricksecker

Profile:

If you can squeeze in 2 strength days a week, I'd think just doing Workout A and B once a week would keep things moving.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ricksecker View Post
If you can squeeze in 2 strength days a week, I'd think just doing Workout A and B once a week would keep things moving.
That is the CFWF program:

M: SS Workout A
Tu: Conditioning (Short, heavy metcon)
W: Skills/Recovery Day
Th: SS Workout B
F: Conditioning
Sa-Su: Skills/Recovery

With any strength program you have to resist the temptation to do more. Everything you do is going to take away from your recovery, so don't go on long runs, don't do Murph or really anything above 10 minutes. It all depends on how willing you are to sacrifice conditioning for faster strength gains.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:46 AM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Interesting, Kurt. McGruff stuff is the SuperSlow training method which basically involves a whole lot of TUT. Bare in mind, we've all trained probably to the extreme here with eccentric movements and guess what- they take a longer time to recover from.

As well, this stuff may work great for the average normal person. Who cares about them?!

From what I've heard, nobody in the SuperSlow camp has ever gotten really strong or really big. It's really not the focus, IMO.