CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #21
Greg Privitera

Profile:
Re: A Question on SS and Stalling

Sounds like a disc issue, get an MRI if you can to be sure.

But you're probably going to want to rehab it (you can do this on your own). But if that's the case, heavy squats are out for now (sorry Rip!).
Old 11-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #22
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Graeme,

Thanks for the links, I'll get on that this evening once I get out of the library. Something about 265 on my back just feels so heavy and the back pain compounds it. I sense that the bar was a little bit too low (across the top/middle of my shoulder blades) when I was going into the squat and that may have caused my torso to slacken thus resulting in the back injury.

I've posted videos before of me squatting and it's pretty solid. Ive corrected the issue of my chest collapsing and of having a deviated bar path for the most part. This weight is just very challenging.

Greg,
Thanks for your input. I've had similar pain before (albeit rarely) and it's normally after squats. So, I think Ill do self-rehab but an MRI if it persists for a long time.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #23
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

from my experience (over last 30 years ) have yet to actually see someone with a DL of less than 300lbs who can squat 250. Does not matter whether they are 13 or 53, man or woman...okay vertically challenged it can be hell, but they often bench more than they DL (can I say dwarf here ???)

So me thinks you are beating the hell out of your self with 1/2 squats fella and maybe that is the problem. You are getting a "saftey shutdown"...body knows that you are out to hurt it and it is doing it's best to save itself some pain. Sometimes our bodies are smarter than our brains.

it will all become clear with time
Old 11-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #24
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
If someone can squat 600lbs but can still add on weight each workout after a day or 2 recovery then they are still a novice.....a bad *** novice....but a novice never-the-less,
people I think are offended by the connotation of "novice," and it's a shame.

Most of my lifts put me in mid-to-high intermediate in rip's chart. But I haven't yet passed the linear gains stage. Therefore, still a novice.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #25
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Terry,

I've put a lot of videos up in Digital Coaching and have been told that my squatting depth is fine. Today I did 3x5 250# (I re-set recently) and I was nearly A2G. It's a good theory, but really, I'm squatting at the correct depth. The "safe mode" could be it though. I just can't seem to get a lot of weight off the ground for the DL.

Jared,

Yeah, I think you've got the idea. I'm not so much offended as I just want to be stronger than that because I'm tired of being weak.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #26
Tom Fetter

Profile:

When my squat work sets got to about #260-265, they and my DL each stopped progressing. Didn't matter that I re-set, or that I ate/slept enough, I hit the same wall 3 times.

As an older guy (I was 44 at the time), it just meant that I wasn't able to recover enough to be able to train both of those heavy movements on the same day. Earlier than a younger guy would have had to, I swapped out my squats for front squats on Deadlifting days, continued to pay attention to my diet and sleep, and progress resumed. When the DL started to slow again, I swapped the order of exercises on that day to put DL first (after a good warmup), so I'd not go into them tired. It meant I had to be more cautious with my front squat form later in the workout, but the weights were enough less that they continued to progress.

It really sounds to me like under-recovery; try monkeying around a bit like I did, and see what may work for you.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #27
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Tom, that's a good idea. The same thing is happening to me and Im not making 20# jumps in my DLs. Im contemplating going to CFSB because pretty much everything is stalling on SS and Im resting and eating well. I may try what you said tomorrow..ah but it's frustrating to wait like this.