CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-30-2008, 06:42 AM   #41
John Alston

Profile:
Re: Bench press with lifted legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Mick View Post
As prickly as most of Chris' comments are, he is very correct about his discussion of goals. I would surmize that almost all people who CrossFit do it to "forge elite fitness".
I think it's to have nice abs, personally, but what we should do a poll to check.
Something like: if you could improve your WOD times by 10% and your CFT by 15% but it would cost you your six pack, would you?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:50 AM   #42
Daniel Mick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
I think it's to have nice abs, personally, but what we should do a poll to check.
Something like: if you could improve your WOD times by 10% and your CFT by 15% but it would cost you your six pack, would you?
I think "forging elite fitness" encompasses most secondary goals. In other words, on your way to improved WOD times and CFT your six packs will pop, you'll get more energy, you'll be entertained, you'll feel alive, you'll trim fat and get defined, etc. Nice abs are a "symptom" of "CrossFit sickness".

If you want to look good, CF will make you look good in the process of becoming fit. If you just want amazing abs, well, to me that is unhealthily elevating a secondary priority. We admire them because developed correctly, they are an indicator of overall fitness. Analogies break down, but: an expensive sports car is generally an indicator of a wealthy person. But that doesn't mean others don't blow their load on the car and are shabby in every other regard because they think the car is the focus.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:25 AM   #43
Brandon Oto

Profile:

POP QUIZ

If benching with legs lifted is useless
and squatting on a rubber ball is a waste
why are pushups (or whatever) on rings effective?
Old 07-01-2008, 05:56 AM   #44
Joey Powell

Profile:

Because rings are anchored by gravity, much like slack lining. These two devices are inherently stable when dead weight is placed on them. the instability is caused by the user, not the nature of the device.

Squatting on the ball is unstable because deadweight will not stay put unless balanced. Legs up on a bench is just an accident waiting to happen. There is a reason it is not done with any considerable weight. Also, when you raise the feet off, essentially you make yourself unstable. You make you like the ball and the bench like the floor. Now you are the device (read: tool) and unstable. If you claim it is "core" training, prepare for the pimp slap.

Either way picking up the feet and putting them on the bench is meat-stickery, and it is one of the fastest ways to get tossed out of The Compound on your ear and pointed to the local Curves franchise.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #45
John Alston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Mick View Post
I think "forging elite fitness" encompasses most secondary goals. In other words, on your way to improved WOD times and CFT your six packs will pop, you'll get more energy, you'll be entertained, you'll feel alive, you'll trim fat and get defined, etc. Nice abs are a "symptom" of "CrossFit sickness".

If you want to look good, CF will make you look good in the process of becoming fit. If you just want amazing abs, well, to me that is unhealthily elevating a secondary priority. We admire them because developed correctly, they are an indicator of overall fitness. Analogies break down, but: an expensive sports car is generally an indicator of a wealthy person. But that doesn't mean others don't blow their load on the car and are shabby in every other regard because they think the car is the focus.
Not exactly my point... the shirtlessness of the WOD Champs posted on the main page is about selling xfit - look at the comments, people love it. It attracts people with an interest in looking "like that" - I'll leave calling it "looking good" up to you.

Also, let's remember the high activity level in this forum (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12) before we conflate "elite fitness" and health.