CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
Scott Simmonds

Profile:
Very Attractive Home Page

I'm traveling in Maine and wanted to visit a box. Googled "CrossFit Portland Maine" and found Back Cove CrossFit - http://www.backcovecrossfit.com/ (WFS)

Love the home page video - as someone interested in the business of CrossFit and as a new athlete I thought this was quite well done - you get a real feel for the box and the owner. Quite inviting.

A few laughs in the vid. It shows a wide variety of body types and athletes - gives newbies a comfort that they wont be out of place.

I bet the owner spent some money getting the video done - I bet it's paid for itself 100 times over.

I'm going there tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Jan Dahlberg

Profile:
Re: Very Attractive Home Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simmonds View Post
I'm traveling in Maine and wanted to visit a box. Googled "CrossFit Portland Maine" and found Back Cove CrossFit - http://www.backcovecrossfit.com/ (WFS)

Love the home page video - as someone interested in the business of CrossFit and as a new athlete I thought this was quite well done - you get a real feel for the box and the owner. Quite inviting.

A few laughs in the vid. It shows a wide variety of body types and athletes - gives newbies a comfort that they wont be out of place.

I bet the owner spent some money getting the video done - I bet it's paid for itself 100 times over.

I'm going there tomorrow.
The content in the video was awesome. However, the fonts used and editing could be freshed up. Looked like something done in the 90's.

I also feel the site could need a bit of cleaning. First landingpage is a total mix of a little bit of everything.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Joey Dussel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Dahlberg View Post
The content in the video was awesome. However, the fonts used and editing could be freshed up. Looked like something done in the 90's.

I also feel the site could need a bit of cleaning. First landingpage is a total mix of a little bit of everything.
Ditto. I think some kind of simple border effect on the pictures would really tie the pages together across the site.

I'm curious to see what you think of my home page. http://crossfitr3.com/

-Joey
Old 12-16-2014, 01:38 AM   #4
Jan Dahlberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Dussel View Post
Ditto. I think some kind of simple border effect on the pictures would really tie the pages together across the site.

-Joey
I'll try and get to it later in the day
Old 12-16-2014, 05:43 AM   #5
Jan Dahlberg

Profile:

Quote:

-Joey
Ok, checked it out and remember, I am by no means a professional designer or anything but here is a few points I think you can improve on:
  • The main page if full of info, it can kind of overwhelm even the best of us. I kind of wish it was better segmented.
  • I realize you wan't to use the gym colors and that's fine but please use a more distinct color for alot of the text you use. Now some of it is grey wich makes it hard to read vs the white background
  • I tried but I couldn't find any pictures to scroll trough to look at your gym, something I would love to do if I planned on starting at your place
Old 12-16-2014, 05:54 AM   #6
Scott Simmonds

Profile:

Joey, I'll leave design to others more in-the-know and take on a part of what a website should do for you... Help people discover you.

Google "Albany OR Crossfit" (without the quotes)- you are not on the first 2 pages -

For "Crossfit Albany OR" - you are 2nd in the map section and first in the body - well done.

"Gyms in Albany OR" - you are down the page.

You get the idea - find phrases people will use to find you and see how you rank.

Your website is a pointer to your business. People have to find you. Content - solid, relevant, content, is what gives you the Google Juice. There are lots of articles out there on how to improve your search ranking - in short you have to have content that helps Google find you and think highly of you.

Write pages that use the phrases that people will use to find you on Google - known as key words.

Track your performance by Googling your keywords once a month or so. Get your web-guy to help you with website optimization.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
Joey Dussel

Profile:

Thanks for that excellent feedback. All such good points and so obvious. You're awesome Jan!

I made some changes, how does it look now?
Old 12-18-2014, 01:14 AM   #8
Jan Dahlberg

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for that excellent feedback. All such good points and so obvious. You're awesome Jan!

Checked it out, want to say something first.

Could I have your facility?
It looks friggin awesome! I've actually talked to some of our members and one of the first things they look for are pictures of the facility and the type of people going there and boy, do you have awesome pictures up now with a whole range of fitness levels that I believe would make alot of people more comfortable in coming in.

You also made it way more easy on the eyes with the new color on the text, I can actually read through for example "Sugar" without straining the eyes.

Seriously, good job
Old 12-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
Patrick A Horsman

Profile:

Quote:

I'm willing to bet you just quadrupled the perceived quality of your gym with those changes. No lie.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
Scott Simmonds

Profile:

This is awesome! Exactly what this forum can be if there is robust participation.

Read, post, agree, disagree, suggest, cajole.

Lurkers - chime in!

What is the most pressing issues in your business right now? Post it here and let others offer suggestions.