CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:
Why won't anyone help me?

8 years. Knee pain and discomfort. Latest PT says I just need to press through the discomfort and get used to a "new normal."

That's utter BS.

No one ever listens. If it doesn't fit in a neat little box they're helpless.

I need help. And I have yet to see ONE medical professional who actually listened, had a committed interest in me getting better, and had the humility to actually believe what I say about how my legs feel.

Last edited by Bradley James Thompson : 12-05-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
Steven Wingo

Profile:
Re: Why won't anyone help me?

I've spent the last 20 years working with injured clients--many of whom have experienced your frustrations.

Why don't you give a brief description of your attempts at care?

There are some knowledgeable folks on here regarding injuries and they may be able to give you some direction on where to go or who to see. But they will need a little more info on what you have tried already.

Did you have a traumatic injury? How old are you? What is your athletic history in terms of use of the knee? What health care providers have you seen so far? What treatments have been attempted? Any imaging studies done?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:

I'm not too interested in getting diagnosed online, since that never goes well, but I will explain.

I'm more interested in finding a practitioner who is actually qualified, a rarity, who actually will try to figure out what's wrong instead of putting me in a cookie cutter program and then after an enough time has passed tell me things are better despite the fact that I feel no better, and when I often feel worse. I need to find someone who will actually take what I say seriously, and won't try to tell me they know better how my body should feel than I do, and ignore practically everything I say to describe my symptoms. So far, I've not met a single practitioner, in well over a dozen each of doctors and PT's who remotely fit those qualifications.

And I'm at the end of my rope because I have no means whatsoever of finding a person who can help. I have received no support from anyone ever helping me figure out how to find a person who is not just another worthless doc/PT who's going to but me through the same BS all the previous ones have and rob me of my money and time.

I can just go to another doctor and another PT, but that's stupid. I've done that at least a dozen times and have utterly wasted hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars with people who aren't capable of helping and aren't committed to figuring out the problem. There's no reason to expect the next one to be any better.

Whole Story:

Injured myself squatting in 2003. Felt a slight pop in my left knee. Did nothing about it. Squatting gradually felt less comfortable, but I could still do it, and run around and do basically anything. Although things in general got worse. My legs got weaker. Or less stable or something like that. Hard to tell, but something was wrong.

In 2005 I played 6 games of racquetball in one day and my left knee started really bothering me. I can't describe the pain because it has been too long.

Went to doctor. Diagnosed quad tendonitis and prescribed quad strengthening and did ultrasound(placebo). My quads were already plenty strong, so obviously that didn't work. Saw another doc, got x-rays, diagnosed patellar tracking issues, but only minor. Did PT. Didn't help at all. Probably did it again and it didn't help at all.

2006, got MRI of left knee. Partial tear to left quad tendon found. Repaired in July of 2006. PT to regain strength and range of motion.

All prior symptoms persisted with no improvement whatsoever and at about this time I started getting problems with my right knee. Again, that was so long ago I can't remember how it felt, but I did notice more and more crepitus both knees.

Everything has very slowly, but steadily, gotten worse, and nothing has ever helped, except McConnel taping, which helped only slightly, and unfortunately I could never replicate the effect the doctor who did the taping could. That would not have been a solution anyway, since it's literally just a band-aid.

Crepitus has gotten steadily worse. Both knees can pop like a knuckle when I feel like they need it. I can bend them both inward excessively. That's how I pop my right knee.

Fast forward a few years with numerous bouts of PT mixed in. I've had multiple MRI's on both knees. Multiple x-rays on both knees. Ultrasound imaging of both knees. EMG. None of these things found anything significant, except minor chondromalacia on the knee MRI's.

I saw an ART massage therapist and they told me I didn't need their services. Some kind of injection. Don't think it was cortisone, but something like that. I worked with one PT who was knowledgeable of Z-health, FMS, kettlebells and such, for 1.5 years. I drove 3 hours each way just to see her. She was probably the best one, just in terms of quality of care. I saw her one on one or an entire hour every time. But she said I wasn't using my whole both together right and my glutes right. She said at the end that everything was fixed but I felt no better whatsoever. Those things may have been fixed, but they had nothing to do with my problem, and I could not convince her of that. Ultimately she basically was telling me I was delusional. I've seen a chiropractor. But I'm not going to let someone snap my neck to work on a knee issue. That's insane.

Current symptoms are as follows:
Constant discomfort. It feels like my upper and lower legs are out of alignment. I feel it literally 24 hours a day. I feel off balance and weak.

It feels like my IT band is EXTREMELY tight, but I've been given mixed messages on that, and even on the need to do anything to the IT Band itself to do anything about it.

My quads don't work right. And it feels like my calves don't work right either. It feels like my legs are stuck bent inward and this changes the lines of force such that the muscles do not function the way they are supposed to. When I squat, only the very inner part of the VMO gets sore. When I lie down on my side and my legs are together, I feel more bone on bone at the knee joint than I used to.

The quads look different than they used to. It seems like the vastus lateralis doesn't come down as close to the patella as it used to. Obviously that's not possible. I think the alignent is such that part of it is somewhat hidden, and doesn't get worked the way should. My whole vastus lateralis feels weird. It's like it's semi-numb, or the skin over it feels numb.

Occasionally I get significant pain in what feels like the joint itself in the left knee. Occasionally a knee buckles, but I've never fallen down from that. Recently I've started rare pain but occurs deep in the quad tendon near the femur whenever my left leg hits the ground. It happens for a series of steps and then goes away. I've only really noticed it when hiking.

If I do anything on one leg it feels like my leg is going to collapse inward. I get strong feedback from my body to stop. The last PT had me jumping forward and landing in a half squat position on a single leg, but I had to stop, because I was being told so strongly by my body that things are way out of place and that it was very dangerous. It was like trying to put your hand in a fire. The brain action warning me against doing it was about as strong. It feels like my lower leg is stuck bent outward (larger Q angle). Every single symptom I have lines up perfectly with that, but all the doctors and PT's tell me my alignment is fine.

Occasionally I get tingles in the area above the kneecap. If I go into a very deep squat, it feels like my meniscus is going to squeeze out the side of my knee.

If I try to just deal with it and work out, I get pain. I can't make any progress. Right now my knees are tingly and weird. I thought I could to trap bar deadlifts but it looks like I might be wrong about that.

Skiing season is starting, and I'm for once in a place where I can ski regularly all season, but my knees ar acting up and I have no clue what to do about it because no one knows what's wrong or cares about figuring it out.

Last edited by Bradley James Thompson : 12-05-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Kristin Bowers

Profile:

I am new here and am not sure if there's a way to see it but I sent you a PM with some local information for you.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin Bowers View Post
I am new here and am not sure if there's a way to see it but I sent you a PM with some local information for you.
I'm in upstate NY now. And I've been there. Same old same old. Thanks for trying though. Seriously.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Kristin Bowers

Profile:

Of course. It seems to me if your body is telling you something is wrong (and your not normally a hypochondriac) then something is wrong. Listen to it and keep trying. There will be a doc or PT or chiro or someone out there that is willing to listen and to help you. Unfortunately the good ones seem to be few and far between.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Ben Gabriel

Profile:

I cant really comment on the whole medical part but a few things you could try is making sure you are moving correctly and correcting muscle imbalances. I dealt with patellar tendonitis for 3-4 months and once I corrected my squat form and strengthened my glutes my knee pain went away.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Gabriel View Post
I cant really comment on the whole medical part but a few things you could try is making sure you are moving correctly and correcting muscle imbalances. I dealt with patellar tendonitis for 3-4 months and once I corrected my squat form and strengthened my glutes my knee pain went away.
I worked with one person for 1.5 years seeing them one on one for an entire hour and we worked on such things. They said they were resolved but i didn't feel any improvement whatsoever. And she called me delusional.

That was the one and only pt I would even think about calling good, in more than a dozen, and even she refusedto listen.

Last edited by Bradley James Thompson : 12-05-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #9
Steven Wingo

Profile:

You would not like the advice I would give you on the care to try out at this point. It seems you have had quite a few qualified health care providers work on you. They obviously have tried to help if you've had surgery to repair a partially torn quad tendon, a bunch of imaging studies, and therapists who have worked on you for a year or more. While there are health care providers out there who aren't good, and who just go through the motions, there are many, many great ones who do an awesome job and really care about their patients welfare. I have a hard time believing you have seen so many and they all have been poor ones. The odds seem against that notion.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #10
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
You would not like the advice I would give you on the care to try out at this point. It seems you have had quite a few qualified health care providers work on you. They obviously have tried to help if you've had surgery to repair a partially torn quad tendon, a bunch of imaging studies, and therapists who have worked on you for a year or more. While there are health care providers out there who aren't good, and who just go through the motions, there are many, many great ones who do an awesome job and really care about their patients welfare. I have a hard time believing you have seen so many and they all have been poor ones. The odds seem against that notion.
Try me. What, a psychologist?

Doctors and PT's consistently have told me there is nothing wrong, or they can't help, or to get used to it. They give up, with say so long, or pt's very commonly give me wishy-washy BS about the improvements I've made when nothing feels any better whatsoever. Maybe they're good at dealing with common well-known problems, bit they suck when the answer is not easy and obvious.