CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
Ricardo Sousa

Profile:
Hello!

Hello!

Iíll start with CrossFit at a local gym in January. I would like to start sooner, but my current gym does not have CrossFit training.

To give you an idea about myself, Iím 35 and have been doing cardio for many years and lifting on and off during 2013. Iíve discovered CrossFit some time ago but only now I got impressed by CrossFit athletes and decided to give it a try. I always loved the competition and group spirit so I guess this might be a way to, finally, become a truly fit person.

Iíve been reading a bit about CrossFit and watching some videos here and there. However, I find this very confusing due to the huge amount of scattered information around. I would really like to be prepared when I start my training so that I don't lose myself on the first weeks.

So, my question to you is - what do I need to do in these weeks before?
Iím on a lifting program with compound exercises that is giving me strength and mass. But what are your advises?

I already got some good advice from CrossFit Brand X, but I would also like to get some more opinions.

Thanks in advance! I'm getting pretty excited about all this and anxiety is growing.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Kristin Bowers

Profile:
Re: Hello!

Hello,

The way I started (the first time) was by jumping right in. I signed up for the Elements class through my not so local box (45 minute drive in the New England winter) and had my coach teach me.

After an injury and a car wreck I am starting back up (again) this time I also jumped right in.

Sometimes I watch video's of movements for the WOD before I go in but that usually just confuses me (tail end of a concussion) so I go in and the movements are gone over there.

Really though if I am going to watch videos of movements I watch them here at http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/exercise.html (WFS) or at http://index.roguefitness.com/pages/movements (WFS) I do not trust random YouTube videos with my body, even more so since my car accident.

Kristin
Old 12-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Ricardo Sousa

Profile:

Thanks, Kristin! I already knew that exercises database from Crossfit.com but I did not know that one from Rogue.

Yes, you are right. Those youtube videos can be fun and dangerous.

Maybe I'm just making a big thing out of it. I guess I'll adapt just as I have with every other thing I've tried in the past.

Again, thanks!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Kristin Bowers

Profile:

I am not going to tell you what to do because I am new here and know next to nothing about you. More experienced people will come through I am sure.

One of the great things about crosfit is how scalable it is. If you go in and cannot do a pushup then there is doing pushups on your knees, on a box or the wall. Scaling is important. I do not have to be as strong as the games athletes or the guy next to me. I just do what I can so I can be back another day.

CF really isn't that complicated and scary. The coaches are there for a reason and not once have I felt off about asking for assistance or asking questions regarding what to do.

As humans we are made to adapt and if not we die.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Ricardo Sousa

Profile:

I understand.

I've also seen that I can use scaled versions on Crossfit BrandX and that helped to understand that this is probably organized in a way to also assist newcomers.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
Ricardo Sousa

Profile:

Hi!

I got back to this post to thank once again for the tips given. I've been to crossfit training 3 times and I loved it!
Of course it is tough, challenging and demanding, but I managed to scale down the workouts and carry on until the end.
You were right. The training is well structured and I did not jump right into push jerks without working on mobility first or doing some presses.

Thanks!