CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-12-2003, 10:01 AM   #1
Emil Berengut

Profile:
I've been finding much research on pubmed, which indicates that supplementation with both of these has a positive ergogenic effect. I am curious about any anecdotal evidence. My concern is also on it's impact on sparring/fighting. While an endurance boost is a plus, I'd be concerned about the increased heart rate and "jitters", not exactly what I need while figthing. Any thoughts?
Old 11-13-2003, 12:48 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Emil-
check out the book Cafeine advantage
Old 11-13-2003, 06:18 PM   #3
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
life without coffee...unimaginable.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:30 PM   #4
Janet Fisher

Profile:

I never had coffee in my life until 2 weeks ago. I was at a conference where all the free goodies were candy bars, etc. I desperately wanted to be awake enough for a bunch of talks, but I didn't want sugar on its own, so I broke down and had a mocha. I had another the next day... and I was hooked. I had my 13th coffee drink today. I expect I'll lose count the same way people lose count about sex. :-)
Old 11-15-2003, 07:22 PM   #5
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Janet,
Welcome to the Dark Side. Or more properly, the Black Side, as that's how proper addicts drink their brew.

As far as ephedrine, I used to drink those Ripped Fuel (Force?) things they sell at the gym. They help when you're squatting heavy, but you will get a bit bug-eyed. They have roughly the same effect that I've always heard cocaine has, but much longer lasting. I personally wouldn't want to take it if I were fighting someone. If you have major adrenaline pumping through you, you got the fight or flight in full gear, but for most styles of fighting, you really want to be able to think--maybe not sit-in-your-chair-with-a pipe-and-say-right-O-thinking--but tactical with your body thinking,and I think ephedrine would have a tendency to lock you into a rigid pattern.

In any event, it's still legal, and I think the health risks are overstated a bit, so get yourself a bottle of one of the drinks,and try it. That stuff is definitely good for long late drives, and all night benders. And getting up and working after all night benders. Or so I've heard.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:34 AM   #6
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
recommend stay away from ephedrine. have taken at least one guy in his 30's to the hospital with chest pain and shortness of breath from this stuff. sinus tachycardic on my monitor several hours after he had worked out.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:02 AM   #7
Chris Doughty

Profile:

Dale,
Do you remember any other stats on that guy? Was he dehydrated, low blood sugar, etc.? I'm just wondering if there are factors that aggravate the ephedrine use. I've been around quite a few people who stacked, ephedrine, caffeine, clen, and diuretics with out any (short term) problems (besides being mean as hell).