CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Benjamin Conklin

Profile:
ATTN: People who taught them selves OLY

I am currently deployed, my plan when i get home is to move right in and set up a Garage Gym. I started CrossFit over here im pretty proficient in all the moves. I plan on going to a CF cert first chance I get. Unfortunately OLY certs are pretty far out from when I get back. (Ill miss one by a couple weeks) So I would like to just teach myself. Are there any, REALLY good resources for this. (I'm currently ripping through the site and CFJ articles/videos). Are there other better places?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Ben
Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: ATTN: People who taught them selves OLY

California Strength has some instructional vids
Catalyst Athletics
Pendlayforum.com has very good coaches posting for vid critique of lifts

Those are the best I can think of.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
California Strength has some instructional vids
Catalyst Athletics
Pendlayforum.com has very good coaches posting for vid critique of lifts

Those are the best I can think of.
All of those that Keith mentioned should keep you busy for a while. If you're teaching yourself Oly lifting pay obsessive attention to detail when it comes to your form. Because you're basically relying on proprioception and not outside input so it's very important to understand how a good lift "feels" from the first pull to the catch. I've been in the same boat since I started earlier this year. If you can get a video of yourself and put it up in the Digital Coaching thread that would be helpful too. There are a lot of knowledgable people on here (including coach Pendlay) who may help out. Good luck
Old 09-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
John C Corona

Profile:

watch these vids from Pendlay. The C&J can be found too.

wfs: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...53#post1090153
Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Troy Peterson

Profile:

Those are good sources.

Also, unless you plan on teaching/coaching anytime soon there are probably better ways to spend your $$ and a weekend than attending a Level 1 cert. While there is definitely good info it sounds like you'd like work on Oly....may be better off going to a local CF box or maybe a nearby Oly gym for coaching (indiv or group).

I did a quick search on the Affiliate finder and saw 810 Crossfit is right in your home town (listed) - Joe DeGain was one of my Level 1 trainers and I don't think you'd be disappointed.

You could probably buy a number of months/year of training for the $$ you were looking to spend on Level 1 and garage setup.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

I'll take a slightly different approach on this...

1) Why are you taking the CF cert? Do you plan on coaching or opening up your own affiliate?
2) Why are you taking the Oly cert? Do you plan on being an official weightlifting club?

The reason I ask is because depending on whether you do the USAW/CF weightlifting cert, that's going to be $1400-$1600 spent in certs alone. For that kind of money, you could get some real coaching at (hopefully) a nearby weightlifting club and really understand how to lift properly. That money is much better spent on coaching IMHO. Spending a cumulative 4 days in certs will be helpful yes, but you won't really know the ins and outs of lifting till you struggle with them yourself and have a good coach help you through those points.

Just my $0.02
Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Benjamin Conklin

Profile:

@Troy, Thanks for the info on Joe. I have been looking at some places in the area, and had been leaning towards 810. Makes that choice alot easier.

@The questions about the Cert. Thanks for all of the input. Good to know the money would be better spent on a box membership.

Much appreciated gentleman.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Ben Joven

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Conklin View Post
I am currently deployed, my plan when i get home is to move right in and set up a Garage Gym. I started CrossFit over here im pretty proficient in all the moves. I plan on going to a CF cert first chance I get. Unfortunately OLY certs are pretty far out from when I get back. (Ill miss one by a couple weeks) So I would like to just teach myself. Are there any, REALLY good resources for this. (I'm currently ripping through the site and CFJ articles/videos). Are there other better places?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Ben
Google "Mark Rippetoe" and watch his videos.

But if you're into oly lifts you've already seen Mark's stuff.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Mike Wazowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Joven View Post
Google "Mark Rippetoe" and watch his videos.

But if you're into oly lifts you've already seen Mark's stuff.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Robby Dinero

Profile:

I can not over emphasize the worth of "Olympic Style Weightlifting for the Beginner & Intermediate Weightlifters" manual and dvd set, by Jim Schmitz (3 time US Olympic Weightlifting Team Coach '80, '88, &'92). You can order it at Ironmind.com. It is moderately priced and the dvd is excellent. Coach Schmitz himself is doing the lifts and narrating. The DVD's are not shot on a hi-def or "pro" camera; hell, he may have very well used a camcorder. All I know is the information contained is priceless. I personally like the feel of the "homemade" dvd. He never gets too technical with the lifts and he includes several programs to get you going down the correct path for your training.

Advise:
1) Go with light weight and learn technique.
2) Go with light weight and learn technique. Then,
3) Go with light weight and learn technique.

Semper Fi,
Robby