CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
Mat Johnson

Profile:
to execute the wod correctly, do I do the "official crossfit warmup" in its entirety before doing the WOD?

P.S. I've searched the message board, the FAQ section and the start here tab and have been unable to find any conclusive answer to this.

Thanks for any feedback
Old 03-08-2007, 05:26 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Mat,

There really is no way to do the WOD correctly, there is a way to do the WOD as recommended or prescribed. There is always scaling as a factor due to strength, ability and age differences.

As for the official Crossfit warmup that is entirely up to you, no one is going to tell you that you didn't do Cindy right because you failed to do the warmup before hand. I would recommend doing the warmup or some other type of warmup before hand though.

Warmup options:
1. Official Crossfit warmup
2. Official Crossfit warmup - scaled down to current abilities
3. Warmup with a run or using the rower
4. warmup with calisthenics
5. Burgerner warmup (Olympic lifting drill)
6. Dynamic stretches or movement prep
7. Prehab exercises

I'm sure I've missed a few options but you get the idea, you mix and match and see what type of warmup works best for you. I personally haven't done the Crossfit warmup in a while and prefer to do a combination of 3,5,6 and 7. Usually not all at once though.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
sometimes it makes sense to do the entire warm up or scaled down version of it, and sometimes it simply doesn't. if we have a wod that requires 150 to 200 situps, you may not want to do 3 x 15 situps in the warm up. if we're doing a lot of pullups or pullups with weight, you may not want to do 3 x 15 pullups in the warm up.

use the 'official' warm up as a model and add/subtract where it makes sense. the key is to slowly elevate your heartrate via varied movements rather than jumping your heartrate from 60 to 180 in 60 seconds. also, targeting the specific wod movements slowly and lightly as part of the warmup has always made sense to me, and i almost always do this.

i've recently learned i can actually run again, and now i occasionally add 1/4 mile easy runs to my warm up. regarding the warm up, correct is not necessarily specific movements for specified sets and reps.