CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
Kieran Hartnett

Profile:
I'm new to Crossfit and 4 months into my current weight loss program. I'm 31/M/6'1"/325lb.

Last time I was on a weight loss kick (couple of years back) I got down from 336lb to 294lb, then ****ed up my ankles by overtraining - actually just by walking too much, I walked fast on the treadmill (hadn't quite worked up to jogging) then went out for a walk later that evening, deciding to "push through" the sore ankles I was noticing. Big mistake - it ended up derailing my whole program.

The physio I went to told me the problem was probably caused by my flat feet (fallen arches?) affecting the way I walk. After having problems with the ortho inserts I was prescribed slipping in the shoe and nearly making me sprain my ankle a bunch of times, I now just wear running shoes with the most arch support I could find whenever I can, including when I train. The ankles get a little sore if I do much walking when I don't wear them, but are otherwise fine.

I can always sub for running when CF-ing, but what I'm really looking for though is a more permenant solution. What exercise/treatments would you suggest in order to either correct my flat feet or stop them being a problem?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Darren Zega

Profile:  
Kieran,

See a thread I started earlier about flat feet. It's all great advice.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/42929.html

Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
larry twyford

Profile:
Kieran,
I have problems with arches falling and have expierineced ankle injuries. So this is what has worked for me, not the gospel truth, just suggestions.

First off, for the flat ness of the feet, I currently use insoles that you heat in the oven, place in your shoes, put on your shoes and they mold to your feet. I forget the name of the insoles but if you google search heat molded insoles you will fing them. They have many different applications, I use the ones with more arch support and they work great.

For the ankle, use an ankle brace, neoprene type. Helps keep your ankle warm and lose and supports it at the same time. Also go to the pool and swim using your legs and feet. It's a great rehibilatation for ankles.
Hope this helps you.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:43 AM   #4
Jim Gotti

Profile:
Larry...I think you are talking about Sole inserts. www.yoursole.com

I can attest that these work pretty well and are helluvalot cheaper than getting fitted for sports orthodics, even if insurance will cover some of the bill.

Also, check out www.fleetfeet.com . They are runner store, but they will watch how you walk and give you expert advise on what sneakers would be best for you.

Also, where exactly is the pain? In the arch, topside of the foot, or up in the actual ankle?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:35 AM   #5
Kieran Hartnett

Profile:
Jim,

Yeah, there's a shop over here called Runner's Need that does pretty much what Fleet Feet do. I got my trainers from them.

As to the location of the pain, it's pretty much in the achilles tendon. Although sometimes I also get pain right at the base of the heel, I don't know if that's related.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
Jim Gotti

Profile:
Kieran,

Those orthodics that were slipping in your shoes were custom fitted from a pediatrist? If not, you may want to have one check out your foot. I'd suggest going to a sports pediatrist and have him check how your foot is landing and shifting as you walk.

The issue with having sneakers that are too padded is that your foot is still landing incorrectly, just with less force. The orthodic will correctly distribute the weight across the foot isntead of it all bearing on the inner or outter portion. I'd highly suggest getting it looked out by a doctor as soon as you can. I stubbornly ignored foot/ankle issues a few years ago and a year after I got my orthodics made that i never wore, I started having some major knee problems which my foot overpronating on my runs was a pretty major contributing factor.

Larry has a great suggestion on using the pool until you get everything checked out. In fact, a running book I just read highly suggest pool running to give the joints a break without loss of cardio level.

Sorry for rambling on.