CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-18-2006, 01:15 AM   #1
isaac williamson

Profile:  
just wanted to pass along some info that really helped improve my performances: proper hydration. i thought that i was a well hydrated prson, you should see all the empty water bottles i have in my car at any given time,(dont worry i recycle all of them :-). then i read a book called Nutrition for Serious Athletes, by Dan Bernadot. the whole book was great but i found the info in the hydration chapter to be very helpful. as soon as i started following his recomendations my perfomance improved, most noticeably in the running/cardio area, but every aspect of my workouts seemed to improve some. the hardest part is getting used to doing wods with a "waterlogged" feeling,dont worry you will get used it in a couple of days. he calls for a 24oz. fluid intake at least a half hour before workouts, with a 7-10% carbohydrate containing beverage. i used fruit juice in the begining, the watery kind (grape, apple, cran...), with success, then following the the workout with 32oz. of h2o within 10-15 minutes, for rehydration. then trying to maintain normal drinking habits for the rest of the day. worked great for me, buy/read the book, theres alot more to it than this, but its a start. keep on keepin on...out
Old 02-18-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Isaac,
There was a 'Water' thread a little while ago where I post my theory and methods of hydration, it seems to have gone over pretty well here.

The idea is that straight water doesn't get absorbed very well by itself. Thus his fruit juice recommendation. Fruit juice, especially pasteurized, isn't that good for you in and of itself. If it hydrates one so well, shouldn't we drink it with water all the time?

Anyway, check out that thread.

My opinion of most 'Nutrition for Athletes' books is that they are high on little short-term performance-boosting tricks, low on long-term health (like recommending pasteurized fruit juice).
Old 02-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
isaac williamson

Profile:  
i looked for threads on hydration but found none, thats why i started this one, i would like to read yours, were can i find it? i used fruit juice simply because i had nothing else to choose from, now i use a sports drink powder mixed with water that contains electolites etc.. his specific recomendation was for a 7%-10% carb containing solution, because like u said water is not absorbed as well by itself and the carbs increase the gastric emptying significantly which leads to better hydration. the author is a phd,dhc,rd, facsm. He has worked with the womens olympic gymnists team in 1996 and is the co-director at the labratory for elite athletic performance at georgia state university. i thought it was a great book, but im no doctor ...out
Old 02-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
Here's the thread

It got archived. There a total of 3 pages. Just hit "next" at the top right of the page or "next page" at the bottom of each page.

I said it there too, the tea thing works. I agree that proper hydration is crucial to performance.

(Message edited by Xfitter on February 18, 2006)
Old 02-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Isaac, here is the thread....it's a good one: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/19445.html

Garrett, I've been drinking green tea all day instead of water. One thing I've noticed is that I don't drink as much liquid now. I haven't really noticed a decrease in urination, but there may still be some diuretic effect from the caffiene going on as I've only been at this for 6 days and the caffiene is still affecting bedtime a bit...sleep fine once I get to sleep, but I'm not tired till later. How long till the caffiene effect is gone? I'm basically brewing two pots a day using the same teabags.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Scott,
Go to white tea. Even less caffeine and more antioxidants. They have it, while not organic at TJ's:happy:. Don't have green tea after 2-4pm if it is affecting your sleep, or go to honeybush/rooibos/ginger/etc. teas to completely avoid the caffeine issue.

Chamomile (1 bags) plus ginger (2 bags) in a 32-oz glass jar in a coffee-maker before bed is great for helping with sleep and digestion. I did that last night, I woke up great and did the WOD. My wife woke up not having slept that well and I reminded her that she declined my pre-bed tea offer. In a short and sweet way, she basically said "Doh!!!". I can only do my best.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:08 AM   #7
Darren Stoddart

Profile:  
i'm suprised at 32 ounces of teaa before bed that you are not up all night ****ing! you must have a huge bladder.

i would like to try something to help me get a better sleep but i end up ****ing through the night when i drink alot before bed.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:15 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I usually wake up to urinate once, at about 4:30am (one hour before getting out of bed).

Make sure you really read the thread and note that you just won't urinate as much with herbal teas. It works, several here have stated the same. 32 ounces is quite a bit, however, 8 or 16 oz. shouldn't be too much.

I'll be offering several non-liquid:happy: natural sleep aid supplements (ie. L-tryptophan and Innate Response's Nervine Response) on my website, which will be launching this week. Those are my favorites.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:49 AM   #9
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
So I was curious about the tea VS water for hydration and decided to give it a shot. I've spent the past couple of days drinking 32oz of green tea in the morning and then using the same tea bag for another 32oz in the evening. I've noticed:

1) less bathroom trips
2) more energy (caffiene maybe?)
3) I'm not sure how else to describe it other than feeling more "balanced"

It's still early and the above might be placebo effect, but I'll continue for at least a week and go from there.

Garrett, would you happen to know the average dose of polyphenols and epigallocatechin in one tea bag? I've been using Tetley Green Tea if that helps.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
Michael Forge

Profile:
Anthony,

Are you just using one tea bag per 32 oz. of water?