CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-10-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
Adam Robinson

Profile:  
Hello everyone. I'm new to the whole eating healthy, etc. I'm 20 years old, 5'10 200lbs, I'm not fat or flabby in my arms, legs, or any of that area. However, I have a big waist 34 inches, and a huge gut (in my opinion) seems like my stomach will never tone back to the high school football days...help!!.
I'm looking for someone to help me design a weekly/daily meal plan, what things are good to eat? Etc...
I go the ZONE book at the library today, and am having a hard time understanding it.
So anybody have any ideas on a healthy breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner, please help me out.
Also, what products should I use while lifting and going to the gym. I've heard Protein, Creatine, and Glutamine are what I need.
please help me... Thanks.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:25 PM   #2
Beth Moscov

Profile:
There is a zone recipe book. You might try getting it from the library and trying some of them while you are getting through the other book. Get your diet in gear before worrying about supplements. Supplements will help fine tune but diet will take you 95% of the way.

Breakfast I eat (3 blocks): one whole egg, two egg whites scrambled in a nonstick pan so I don't need extra fat (the eggs have enough fat for me) plus one piece of rice bread (I can't eat regular bread).

Tonights dinner: shrimp, cocktail sauce, grapes, fish oil.

I eat a bunch of balance bars for snacks when I am out of the house as I hate carrying boxes or bags of food. One bar is two blocks.

Finish the book and don't hesitate to ask questions here. There are a bunch of folks who can help you to apply the stuff as many of us have worked it out for ourselves.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:04 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I always agree with Beth, but...watch the Zone bars; the carbs are not from ideal sources and the protein is SOY (key the psyco music). Research soy for 2 minutes and you'll find it's somthing you want to stay away from. I buy and cook my lean protein sources on Sunday. Roughly you are basing your meal around a piece of meat the size of your palm. Double that size with vegatables, throw some nuts in (fat source) and you have the basics. I suggest you buy the Crossfit Journal "Zone Meals". Go to the store from the home page and purchase it...you will have it today. I have: eggs/egg whites, grated low fat cheese, slow cook oatmeal, frozen blueberries, teaspoon protein powder, 2 teaspoons fish oil for breakfast; Chicken breast, mixed vegatables with beans, almonds, 2 Costco fishoil tabs, for lunch; Cottage cheese, 1 teaspoon protein powder, 1 apple for snack; meat source (usually lean) vegatables and another fruit + nuts or seeds for dinner; plain yogert, 2 Splenda's, crushed walnuts, dash of vanalla, 2 teaspoons of fish oil of for bedtime snack. I drink a glass of chocolate milk post workout. If I am desprate, I may grab a zone perfect bar. I usually eat the same combo of foods every day! I put this in a small cooler and bring it to work. Height, weight, activity level, would help for a more detailed RX. most of us bigger guys (I'm usually 195 - 200) eat 19 blocks, but add more fat blocks...more fish oil, nuts, seeds, olive oil.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
Ron Nelson

Profile:
What Larry and Beth said.
I really need to measure my food better.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I am beginning to think Ron, Larry, and I are the same person. :wink:
Old 02-14-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Nope...I think I met all three of you and none of you made a mad dash for the nearest phone booth for quick disguise change when I asked to one of the others. :biggrin:
Old 02-14-2005, 04:53 PM   #7
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I don't know Laura - crossfit has made us all pretty quick!