CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-18-2004, 07:02 PM   #1
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
I was reading a post about Innuits who are very healthy without eating any fruits or veggies. It got me thinking. What if I simply cut out all fruits and veggies, and just ate lean meats (grass fed beef, tuna, shrimp, chicken) and nuts. Would this be healthy? Would I get all the necessary vitamins and minerals?

I guess I am wondering what the benefit of the Zone style eating is as compared to the Innuits. I am very attracted to a simple diet. I have to force myself to eat enough fruits and veggies. What is the health risk of eating too few (or perhaps no) fruits and veggies? If there are none, I might give it a try...
Old 12-18-2004, 08:03 PM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
It's my belief that you cannot have an ideal diet if it contains no fruits and vegetables. You're missing out on so many micronutrients, phytonutrients, fiber. And vegetables are practically free of calories (consistent with a life-extending approach of calorie restriction).

Soup is a good way to get plenty of vegetables and fruits taste great although if you keep the vegetables the fruit are less important.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:14 AM   #3
Todd Learn

Profile:
There is lots of people that believe that fruits and veggies are not required in large quantities in the diet. See www.theomnivore.com and some of the links on that page for info. One thing that I noticed is that you mentioned lean meat, if you cut carbs back you need fat to supply energy, so fatty meats tend to be better.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:41 AM   #4
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Todd, do you have the links to no fruits and vegetables on hand? It seems to be mostly articles on low carb diets.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:56 AM   #5
Todd Learn

Profile:
Sorry the omnivore did not contain the links that I thought. ( I was at work when I wrote the post.) His site does advocate a low carb diet and has lots of info to back it up. In respect to an all meat and fat diet do a search for Vilhjalmur Stefanson. He subsisted on an all meat and fat diet for a year under medical supervision and showed no ill effects. Here are two interesting links that I found on the subject.

http://members.shaw.ca/karen.fediuk/...eInuitdiet.pdf http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=524027
Old 12-19-2004, 04:25 PM   #6
Roy Taylor

Profile:
Try just cutting out vegetables, and eating fruit. I did this because my stomach just couldn't hack the abuse of all that fiber, along with the fruit just to get my 5 blocks per meal.

Diets can be simple without being TOO simple. Mine for instance:

lean meat, whey, peanut butter, nuts, oatmeal, whole grain bread, mozzarela cheese stick, and fruit.

Combinations in athlete zone meals. Never felt better in my life.

Cheers
Old 12-20-2004, 05:51 AM   #7
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I've found that later in the day (workout is in the morning) I can get by on less carbs. My two later day meals are 4.5 zone blocks each, or started out that way, I guess. I started by dropping a block of carb from each (so now 3.5 blocks of carbs), and now I have upped the protein in each to 6 and 7.75 blocks. I suppose this idea is endorsed by Berardi (more carbs post-workout... less carbs and more fat later in the day).

So for those two meals I'm having roughly half the amount of carbs the Zone recommends. I do typically get the carbs from fruit and veggies though. Broccoli and grapes are my choices.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:00 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Arh...matey, you could get the scurvey! It seems the latest trend in sports nutrition is increasing your choices in foods from various fruits, vegs, etc to make sure you are not deficient in anything. Variety is the spice of life.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:03 AM   #9
Bob Long

Profile:
Ernest Shackleton's antarctic expedition of 1914-16 survived after being shipwreaked on the ice for almost a year on seal and penguin meat. No vegetables. High fat meats. No one died, and they apparently suffered no ill effects long-term. Not an example to be followed but interesting reading.

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica%20fact%20file/History/Ernest%20Shacklet on_Trans-Antarctic_expedition.htm
Old 12-28-2004, 01:25 PM   #10
Robert Wolf

Profile:
http://www.sciencentral.com/articles...e_id=218392410

The problem for "us" with a no veggie/fruit diet is our meat sources are much less nutritious than wild sources. Wild meat is loaded with carotenoids, omega-3's, ALA, CLA. Grain fed meat has none of this.

The Inuit also ate much of their meat raw which preserved vit-C and other nutrients and co-factors.

I think a reasonable approach is to eat local and in season if possible. Find a local farmers market and eat what they have. I understand this will be hard for some people, not everyone lives in northern california!

Robb