CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Carl Amolat

Profile:
Question Power Endurance

I've run across the term, power endurance quite a bit during my strength training research. I view power endurance as the ability to apply force over a period of time (in my line of work, walking with full kit, assault pack, weapon would be one variation of it). I just wonder if that is an accurate way to look at power endurance?
Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
hugh driscoll

Profile:
Re: Power Endurance

Explosive vs grind...

For example:

5 minutes of kettlebell snatches = power endurance

5 minutes of kettlebell presses = strength endurance
Old 09-12-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Carl - when I think of power endurance, I think of it as being able to continually demonstrate explosiveness. Walking with full pack definitely requires endurance, and possibly some explosiveness depending on the terrain, but in general wouldn't quite be what I think of as 'power' endurance.

When you see guys in the Games unable to clean a moderately challenging (for them) weight at the end of a relatively short WOD, they probably lack some power endurance.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Quote:
Carl - when I think of power endurance, I think of it as being able to continually demonstrate explosiveness. Walking with full pack definitely requires endurance, and possibly some explosiveness depending on the terrain, but in general wouldn't quite be what I think of as 'power' endurance.
I would definitely label individual movement techniques under full kit (i.e. sprinting from nearest covered and concealed position and providing covering fire for your buddy to do the same) as power endurance as the stand from either prone or kneeling positon and subsequent sprint (all of this again under battle kit or battle kit plus rucksack) all are rather explosive from my standpoint.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Obviously but your original post did say walking with full pack, not walking sprinting and up downs in full pack so what he said actually fits. So based on that scenario yes you would need some power endurance.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Quote:
Obviously but your original post did say walking with full pack, not walking sprinting and up downs in full pack so what he said actually fits. So based on that scenario yes you would need some power endurance.
When I read Adam's response to my initial scenario I saw I was somewhat mistaken on the definition of power endurance, so I went and thought of the second scenario.

I'm looking to try and find some good ways to integrate power endurance into our Staff PT, and just trying to make sure I have the concept grasped properly before I start suggesting things.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Yeah, the second scenario that you described would seem more along the lines of requiring some power endurance. Changing levels, quick movements, going over obstacles quickly, etc. would be a very different demand on the body than a hike with a pack.

What about making an obstacle course or something, and having people complete it as quickly as possible?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Will take that under advisement. I'll also try to find stuff to do for our gym days (1x week) that the XO does with us.

Last edited by Carl Amolat; 09-12-2011 at 08:29 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Just my $0.02 worth.

I too spent some time wrapping my head around Power Endurance in a industrial athelete enviroment.

My reading suggests that it is very very difficult to maintain at any real level. And as a Mil athlete I would suggest that you can't really afford the large quantities of training resource needed to even maintain it.

For example, It's very important to the MMA guys, and they will often do a 6 week cycle just before a fight, and actually sacrifice some other areas froma peak point of view for it.

After much reading, I think it has little application to a combat enviroment in the sense that it requires much training reasource to maintain that can be better spent on other areas.

The stronger (etc) one is the less effort required the less fatigue that sets in.

Sean

OK s**t, my grammar and spelling is all over the map today. no sleep and too much coffee is my story and I'm sticking to it. Just for everyone else's entertainment I will leave it as is.

Last edited by Sean J Hunter; 09-12-2011 at 09:00 PM..
Old 09-17-2011, 02:26 AM   #10
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

What I was trying to say is, and this is only my limited research on the topic, but hopping to give you something to think about.

I beleive the power endurance recovers relatively quickly.

So where as strength endurance has an application to the combat enviroment becuase 1RM strength can take upwards of 8 minutes to fully recover and therefore quicker recovery (strength endurance) is more important. I beleive power endurance recovers quickly i.e. a mater of 20-30 seconds, and therefore quicker recovery in view of combat fitness is less important.

I beleive power ENDURANCE has "relatively" little use in a combat enviroment as I'm not too sure it actually used that often when compared to let's say MMA, where power is used every 1-2 seconds (punches), how often are combat sprints actually used in a 6 hour fire fight, and more importantly how often are they used continuiously quicker then the 30sec recovery time?

You could also argue that power is only used at the beginning of a combat sprint, now in A-stan running up hill could be considered all power, so thats something to think about? However that is SPP and would only be training on a run-up to mission specific. (read Military Athelet A-stan program example)

Another thought is, Power endurance gains decay relatively quickly, compared to other fitness variables (i.e. cardio versus limit strength), I would argue that it would likely decay quickly in a standard tour.

On top of this is the training resource needed to get any significant gains, and the picture I created in my head is cost does not justify gains or use in standard combat fitness.

Now the lads in the anti-terror SMUs have a different mission and so the variables apply differently. A delta force anti-terrorism mission on an embassy may benefit greatly from power endurance and they have the training resource to maintain it and the unlikelyhood of long tourers causing decay aren't there and that specific mission calls for it in a greater way.

Just my $0.02 worth, there will be others who can comment more intellegently.

Last edited by Sean J Hunter; 09-17-2011 at 02:30 AM..