CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #31
Charles Applin

Profile:
Re: Uniforms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post
Yeah, I completely understand it from a Reebok standpoint. S**t, they made out like bandits in this situation. I'm just talking about it from a CFers standpoint, wanting to see the growth of his sport.
No, they haven't made a dime yet from my understanding based on a chat with the reps at Okinawa's regional. True, this is an investment with hopes of a future pay off when Reebok rolls out its line of apparel geared toward CrossFitters later this year. Until that time, they're trying to get brand recognition within the CrossFit community.

Personally I hope it works out. Early word on the gear being issued though hasn't been good. Still, hoping for the best.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #32
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hopper View Post
Actually I would be surprised if Adidas made its way into it. A few years ago Reggie Bush tried to wear adidas football cleats in an NFL game and got fined big-time for it. It was against the rules because the NFL and Reebok had a contract. That rule might have gotten changed, but I don't know..
I'm pretty sure you're wrong there, because Nike and Adidas and Reebok cleats have all been seen in the NFL in the last few years.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #33
Mike Hopper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I'm pretty sure you're wrong there, because Nike and Adidas and Reebok cleats have all been seen in the NFL in the last few years.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2549716

Like I said, they may have changed the rules since then. The rules had allowed players to wear Nike or Reebok but not adidas.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #34
Andrew Roden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman View Post
I thought it was more of a problem for the companies sponsoring the athletes.
I don't have a problem with corporate sponsorship, though it does go against the old timey original crossfit as rebel image. My problem is athletes forced to wear sponsorships for which they've not received renumeration. And to those who say 'prize money' I say go to work for a company that only pays the top 3 finishers...
Old 06-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #35
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Roden View Post
I don't have a problem with corporate sponsorship, though it does go against the old timey original crossfit as rebel image. My problem is athletes forced to wear sponsorships for which they've not received renumeration.
Like pro athletes in the Olympics?

The renumeration is that, thanks to the sponsor, the event exists.

Katherine
Old 06-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #36
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
I don't have a problem with corporate sponsorship, though it does go against the old timey original crossfit as rebel image. My problem is athletes forced to wear sponsorships for which they've not received renumeration. And to those who say 'prize money' I say go to work for a company that only pays the top 3 finishers...

You mean back in the good ol' days when supersetting 225# deadlifts with 400m runs shirtless made you an Olympic athlete wrapped in a suit of bodyarmor and a total badass?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:52 AM   #37
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Well, technically, everyone at the games bar the Masters have been compensated by Reebok with Regional prize money. If I offered you 1,000 dollars for three days for a shirt and shorts you can wear for a little bit then take off, in addition to covering up symbols that don't help your performance any would you take the money?

Yeah, I'd prefer that Reebok leave the uniforms out of this. If they think they offer the superior product, then let the great test platform of the games ultimately decide. Athletes will know if the gear is worth anything by leaving it on. Not given them a reasonable choice just means you know a product has no chance without a financial advantage.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #38
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
Well, technically, everyone at the games bar the Masters have been compensated by Reebok with Regional prize money. If I offered you 1,000 dollars for three days for a shirt and shorts you can wear for a little bit then take off, in addition to covering up symbols that don't help your performance any would you take the money?

Yeah, I'd prefer that Reebok leave the uniforms out of this. If they think they offer the superior product, then let the great test platform of the games ultimately decide. Athletes will know if the gear is worth anything by leaving it on. Not given them a reasonable choice just means you know a product has no chance without a financial advantage.
Techincally, you're wrong. They were given PRIZE MONEY, not sponsorship money. There were given money for their PLACINGS, not for wearing Reebok gear.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:42 AM   #39
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
Techincally, you're wrong. They were given PRIZE MONEY, not sponsorship money. There were given money for their PLACINGS, not for wearing Reebok gear.
I can't say if I'm wrong or not without looking at the fine print on the cash prize. However, just looking at the official rules where apparently I've given up all rights to my images taken in course of the games using media that does not exist yet in all perpetuity among all possible universes existent and non-existent, it wouldn't surprise me there was wording in the effect that accepting this "prize" from Reebok (who offered it, not CFHQ if I understand correctly) and attending the games meant a certain code of conduct.

Just remember, just because it says "Captain Crunch" on the cover, doesn't mean the guy was ever in the naval service.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #40
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
I can't say if I'm wrong or not without looking at the fine print on the cash prize. However, just looking at the official rules where apparently I've given up all rights to my images taken in course of the games using media that does not exist yet in all perpetuity among all possible universes existent and non-existent, it wouldn't surprise me there was wording in the effect that accepting this "prize" from Reebok (who offered it, not CFHQ if I understand correctly) and attending the games meant a certain code of conduct.
Have you ever been to a music festival? Typically there is a disclaimer more or less identical to what you wrote out above, that you accept simply by purchasing a ticket or as part of an additional waiver signed in the process of ticket purchase. It basically just gives them the right to use all photos/video/media taken during the event for their own promotional material without you suing them, nothing to do with sponsorship or reparations of any kind.