CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Sheldon Hull

Profile:
Crossfit Football vs Strength before Mainsite WOD

Been searching through the posts. I'm 160 lbs and 6'3. I've been pretty weak most of my life compared to others, and really can't easily control more than 95 lbs above my head with a clean and jerk movement.

I'm not sure if going CFFB soley or adding a strength portion to each workout before doing the mainsite WOD is appropriate.

Can someone advise me their opinion on which I might use to best meet the goals of increasing my strength while maintaining the endurance I'm building from the mainsite Wod's? I'd like to actually do some of the weights as prescribed instead of cutting them so low
Old 06-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Jon Gregory

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Football vs Strength before Mainsite WOD

CFFB - follow the amateur strength WOD as that is a linear progression program.
Have you considered just following a strength program for 6 months?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

CFFB is designed with a well thought-out strength portion and programmed by someone who knows what he's doing. It's unlikely that randomly throwing a few heavy lifts in before CF.com is going to get you comparable results. Plus doing a lot of 30-40+ minute metcons like the ones that tend to show up on CF.com is not going to help your strength gains either.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Another vote for Crossfit Football. I am skinny and weak as well, so I understand where you're coming from. Since starting CFFB a few months ago, all of my lifts have gone up continuously, I have gained a bit of weight (if you do go with CFFB, remember to EAT! Clean foods and lots of them), and my conditioning has improved as well (largely due to my strength gains, in my opinion). Use the 'Amateur' program--I would venture to guess that you have miles of linear progression left in you.

While adding some strength work before a mainpage workout could get the same results as CFFB, I think that it leaves open a big possibility for overtraining and shoddy programming, and this will hamper your gains. So unless you're well studied and experienced in programming, it's probably not the best option...
CFFB is all laid out for you in a thoughtful way and, to the best of my knowledge, very intelligently and efficiently programmed.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
CFFB is designed with a well thought-out strength portion and programmed by someone who knows what he's doing. It's unlikely that randomly throwing a few heavy lifts in before CF.com is going to get you comparable results. Plus doing a lot of 30-40+ minute metcons like the ones that tend to show up on CF.com is not going to help your strength gains either.
Beat me to it...
Old 06-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Just to vent a little rant on this subject - I recently contacted CFBrisbane (biggest box here) and asked about following CFFB during their open gym times. Was told they would not allow any programming other than their own (fair enough) but they then went on to say that the head coach was "NOT A FAN OF CFFB". Seriously, what a dumb thing to say! One of the most respected strength and conditioning programs around and you aren't "a fan". Rant over, needed to vent!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
Sheldon Hull

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Gregory View Post
CFFB - follow the amateur strength WOD as that is a linear progression program.
Have you considered just following a strength program for 6 months?
Thanks, I like how the metcon style conditioning has really helped my fitness, so I don't want to JUST do weights, however I want to bias my training to focus on developing better strength, even if means conditioning training goes down a hair. Sounds like CFFB should work for me. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #8
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

CFFB or 70's Big Strength and Conditioning.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:23 AM   #9
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Gregory View Post
Just to vent a little rant on this subject - I recently contacted CFBrisbane (biggest box here) and asked about following CFFB during their open gym times. Was told they would not allow any programming other than their own (fair enough) but they then went on to say that the head coach was "NOT A FAN OF CFFB". Seriously, what a dumb thing to say! One of the most respected strength and conditioning programs around and you aren't "a fan". Rant over, needed to vent!
He came over to Perth to run the level 1 course, I should have asked him about that stuff. Presumably only says that because he wants people to become clients and therefore follow his program.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:27 AM   #10
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
He came over to Perth to run the level 1 course, I should have asked him about that stuff. Presumably only says that because he wants people to become clients and therefore follow his program.
Yeah I can understand the aspect of wanting people following your programming and not wanting lots of people doing their own thing but to say you aren't a fan is just odd! Anyway, that's one client less for the box until I decide to go back to CF training