CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Amy Larson

Profile:
Hip & calf pain when running

Solo-home CFer since 2007. Age 41 F, usually do Pack scaling on the Brand-X site. Was contemplating a half marathon in May and started adding a interval workout and tempo/time trial workout from the CFE site. After the longer runs I get horrible pain in my left hip and moderate pain in my right calf.

I have successfully run a half marathon using the exact same CFE protocol with moderate hip pain (2009). I used to suffer terrible knee pain until backing off the LSD miles and starting CF. I believe the problems is I am self-taught in POSE and have probably screwed up my running mechanics. Used to be a big-time heel-striker. Last year I dialed way back on the mileage and overall running (focused on CFSB and a PTP cycle) and until a few weeks ago, only ran when called for in the mainsite WODS.

Any thoughts on what my trouble might be would be appreciated. I am going to back off of the running until my hip is fully recovered but don't want to give it up forever.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: Hip & calf pain when running

Can you post a video of your running form? Views from the front, back, and side would be useful so that we can check out what may be wrong. It definitely sounds like a biomechanics issue. Who knows, maybe if you get your form recorded, you'll see the issue right away. Also, what kind of surfaces do you run on? Do they tend to have an angle one way or the other? I always got interesting pain when I ran in gutters of streets - the draining angle almost hyperextended the leg closest to the gutter and I'd have some knee/hip pain afterward.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Amy Larson

Profile:

Thank you Brent, I will get some video later this week. I am going take a break from running for a few days. My hip is still pretty sore and it would affect my form. It seems to flare up on both the treadmill and asphalt, so I do not think surface is the issue. I just switched to Innov8 shoes, but was having the problem before.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

You need to see an orthopedic doc or PT.

You've been running more than 2 years THROUGH pain it's likely you have done some massive damage to yourself.

It depends on what your problem is though.... we have no idea so..... there's no way we can even help you until you're more specific or get an actual diagnosis
Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Amy Larson

Profile:

I'm giving it a couple more days then will post some video. The last time I saw an ortho doc he said the arthritis in my knees was terrible and I shouldn't be running at all. That is about the time I started working on POSE and paid more attention to my diet. I live in a rural community and getting to any kind of seminar without taking extra travel days is tough. Excuse I know but I run a business and am raising a family and every day away really does count.

My knees are pain-free now, but I have messed something else up.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Megan Zetter

Profile:

I would by-pass the ortho too. Their tool is a knife. As Brent said, it's likely soft tissue and or biomechanics related. Can you see a sports chiro or PT? Posting a video can be helpful, but you need some hands on evaluation and someone who understands running is not bad (99% of the time) for you and that your exercise and activities are important.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Amy Larson

Profile:

I'm having lunch with a PT friend tomorrow, I will see if there is anyone here in Coos Bay that can do sports-related analysis/therapy. I am a little skeptical, most folks around here haven't heard of CrossFit and think women should go for high-rep "toning" when they hit the weights. I am afraid any professional advice I seek in my hometown will suggest I lay off the weights. I might have to make a trip to Eugene or Portland for a little analysis and coaching. CFE is coming to Lake Oswego but I just can't squeeze it in this time of year.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Where exactly is the pain? Can you google pictures and mark them?

What exercises hurt?

I can take some guesses if you give me more info but it's waaaaay better to get evaled by your PT friend and see what's going on
Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Larson View Post
I'm having lunch with a PT friend tomorrow, I will see if there is anyone here in Coos Bay that can do sports-related analysis/therapy. I am a little skeptical, most folks around here haven't heard of CrossFit and think women should go for high-rep "toning" when they hit the weights. I am afraid any professional advice I seek in my hometown will suggest I lay off the weights. I might have to make a trip to Eugene or Portland for a little analysis and coaching. CFE is coming to Lake Oswego but I just can't squeeze it in this time of year.
I live in Portland and know of many great chiros in the area ...
Old 01-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
Amy Larson

Profile:

Thanks Steven and Megan, I will get a picture or some video up in a day or so. I have been working a little more than normal this week filling in for someone on vacation and am hosting a luncheon tomorrow for 20 ladies at my house (PT friend included). It has actually been a good week to back off and rest.

The pain is right on the left hip bone, sometimes radiating to my lower back. It seems to hurt the most if I am pushing off with my hip flexor rather than pull up with my hamstring. The only exercise that bothers me is running. All weight lifting is fine, rowing is fine, jumping and kipping are fine. I know what I need is coaching, and I should just back off until I can get it. The local HS track coach may be able to help. He is a friend and I trust that he would tell me the truth if he is unable to identify my problem. I am very leery of our local medical community. Cutting is all-too common.