CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Chris Merryweather

Profile:
Paleo meal plan examples

A bit of background first.
Im 21 and training to go into the Royal Marines (ive passed selection and start training 27 sept)
I train a lot, trying to get myself into top condition for when i start.
I swim, cycle, run, do compound moves in the gym and circuit training. I have also started to do a few crossfit workouts such as Cindy and Barbara and a few slight variations of some of the others to add an extra element to my training.
At the moment my diet plan looks like this

Meal 1 - 50g oats with milk and water, glass oj, protein shake
Meal 2 - 3 large eggs cooked with olive oil on 2 brown toast, 2 portions of fruit
Meal 3 - Tin of tuna with mayo, red pepper, tomatoes
Meal 4 - Lean meat with vegetables and a carb (pasta, rice,potatoes)
Before bed - half a pint of milk

I also have a self made recovery drink after i workout which is once or twice a day

i rest 2 days a week and i keep up the same diet apart from the pwo shakes

I snack on nuts throughout the day

I have made good gains following this meal plan, i have been gaining muscle, have lots of energy and have a good six pack

I drink approx 4/5 litres of water a day

Sorry for the long post but my question is this how would i maintain this kind of intake on a paleo diet? Also could paleo people post their meal plans and their height weight etc so i can get an idea of how people make up their meals without using non fruit/veg carbs

Thank you for taking the time to read this
Old 08-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Marcus Allen

Profile:
Re: Paleo meal plan examples

Quote:
I have made good gains following this meal plan, i have been gaining muscle, have lots of energy and have a good six pack
So, why change to paleo? I'm just curious.

First no oats, milk or protein shakes on paleo.

Meal 1- sausage or ham, zucchini in olive oil, piece of fruit, water
Then, no toast.

Meal 2- eggs with veggies(bell peppers, tomatos, onions, broccoli), an apple and almonds

Meal 3- Tuna with olive oil, veggies, avocado
Also, no pasta.

Meal 4- lean meat with spaghetti squash, large salad with olive oil and avocados

Snack- Piece of fruit and nuts or nut butter.

Try adding veggie snacks in throughout the day as well if you notice energy problems. Cordain also utilizes yams in "Paleo for Athletes".

Some will say that 3 pieces of fruit a day is too much, but if you are lean, don't sweat it.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Alasdair Walton

Profile:

1st of all good luck at Lympstone, knuckle down and work hard.... you're gonna have really hard times, but work through them.... and remember the commando values!

2nd I will probably get crucified on this board for saying this.... but realistically at this stage, I wouldn't be too worried about paleo diets. Yes it is probably what we should eat, but when you get to Lympstone if you ask in the galley about paleo.... the cooks are very likely to laugh and give you an extra helping of chips.

Aim to be paleo, but expect to be anything but, remember the military hasn't caught up with things like paleo yet... during your training at Lympstone be more concerned about cramming in the calories, remember you get 4 meals a day and will probably still be in calorie deficit without extra scran- think chocolate bars- concentrate on getting as many calories etc down your neck, as opposed to them being the right sort of calories.

Once you've passed out with your green beret then you can get to be more diet focussed. Also remember when on ops you'll get the culinary delights of ration pack food, if you're used to paleo only, this will totally mess up your insides!

Other than that.... work on bodyweight excercises, do some weights, strengthen your legs and back... but mainly focus on bodyweight stuff, include burpees in this... they are a regular punishment during training, learn to love them.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Chris Merryweather

Profile:

Thanks for the reply. Yeah thats a fair point why change. I was just interested as i have never heard of the diet before i started looking at crossfit.
I wondered about the amount of fruit and veg that you would consume on paleo.
Saying that though ive had 2 tins of fruit, a banana, 2 glasses of oj, 2 bell peppers and 3 tomatoes today as ive started cutting down my carbs and replacing them with fruit/ veg.
Is this amount of fruit/veg not bad for you in any way?
Old 08-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Chris Merryweather

Profile:

Thanks are you in the Marines?
I will just eat everything, when i did my prmc i ate crazy amounts of everything, i love my food and 4 all you can eat meals every day is my idea of heaven.
I was just interested in more info really and i might give it a half go in the run up to my start date.
2 weeks before my date i will go back to eating everything to get my digestive system/ body ready and used to random foods
I do a lot of burpees and body weight stuff. ive just started doing them the crossfit way and it kills me. going to stick at them tho, i may time a 100 burpee challenge this week
Old 08-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Read the Paleo books.

Check out Robb Wolf's podcast "The Paleo Solution" its on ITues.

There is a concern that you could eat too much fruit. Again, if you are already lean I wouldn't worry about it.

Eat until you're full, stay away from grains, legumes and dairy. Try it for a month and see what happens.

You may feel crappy for a bit as your body adjusts to the lack of starchy carbs, but it will go away.

Good luck with your pursuits!
Old 08-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Alasdair Walton

Profile:

Chris

Not a former Royal.... former British Army instead..... but worked with Royals a lot, both in the army and out of it.

No problems with your plan to try a paleo inspired diet and then return back to eating "modernised" (eg bad for you food) prior to Lympstone.... my only concern would be that your system could be a little shocked. Going from good stuff to bad stuff may cause minor issues prior to the start of training... from experience I was on a paleo diet (didn't know thats what it was called) prior to joining the army. Going back to the kind of food served in army canteens, lots of starchy carbs- made me feel really bad for a few days. That being said everyone is different and even if you only eat paleo for a month, it is still a good start.

Definitely work on your burpees though.... and where possible get used to doing some training in boots. I wouldn't suggest do every run in boots, but at least once a week and also learn to do a lot of other PT in boots- burpees spring to mind.

At this stage I wouldn't be overly concerned that what you've said is too much fruit.... chances are you're training so hard you'll need the extra calories.

The other issue of course why the paleo won't work well when you're a Royal is beer comes from grains.....