CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
Joey Lajoie

Profile:
spondylolisthesis

I have an issue with my L5. First noticed when I was eight when I put my back out while swimming.

I have been dealing with it to the best of my abilities with proper training and mechanics however I have put my back out about once a year for the last four or five years. The last couple of times was when I was attempting to deadlift more than I should have and allowed my lower back to round and tuck under.

I have now conceded myself to the fact that I will have to back off on my deadlift weight indefinitely and I have to wear a belt while doing heavy strength lifts such deadlift and squat. As well I will be redoubling my efforts to maintain strict lumbar form during all my exercises. So this last time may have been a blessing in disguise as I am now fully aware of how careful I have to be with proper mechanics.

I am wondering if anybody else out there has any insight to dealing with spondylolisthesis. Otherwise known as pars defect. I have heard of a program called bulletproof back which addresses this problem directly but I don't have an extra hundred bucks to shell out right now for a program that I really don't know too much about.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: spondylolisthesis

Many of the exercises on CrossFit that incorporate midline stabilization will help the area. Avoid hyperextension exercises, I would avoid the GHD sit ups if you have access to that.

ALSO, not wanting to get into arguments on the benefits, or lack their of in a weight belt....that belt will NOT prevent you from losing your lumber curve with lifts. It may help increase your lift totals, but it not because the belt helped you maintain your lumbar curve. I would do with out the belt, and lighten the load ALOT(hard to say w/o ever training you, or knowing #'s). Squating and DL w/o a belt, slowing with great form will be a greater benefit to your injury, than the belt and higher weight lifts.