CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
Jeff Stanek

Profile:
Reverse Hypers

After watching the video, I'm very interested in trying the movement. I've got chronic lower back issues that prevent me from deadlifting above ~225 without follow-on pain that I would love to fix.

I see alot of similarity between the movement and a hip extension. Is there a poor-man's reverse hyper out there that has been tried?
Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Re: Reverse Hypers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stanek View Post
After watching the video, I'm very interested in trying the movement. I've got chronic lower back issues that prevent me from deadlifting above ~225 without follow-on pain that I would love to fix.

I see alot of similarity between the movement and a hip extension. Is there a poor-man's reverse hyper out there that has been tried?
Saw the video too. I have back problems from my 20's and I started doing the extension a week or so ago with no weight. If you can find somewhere that you can lay on a table and lift your leg it will work. I havent weighted it, just saw the video of them being weighted.

The reason I started Crossfit was to fix my back. I was a wreck with my back. I can dead 320 no on a good day. It all comes down to how my back feels.

See if this link helps you any (WFS) http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/0...ur-lower-back/
Old 03-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Ed Flood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stanek View Post

If you have access to a power rack you can lie with your hips across one of the spotter bars and reach over and grab the other one. Add weight by holding a DB between your feet. You probably won't be able to use a whole lot of weight this way, it looks a bit silly, is fairly awkward, you might fall over and it's sacrilegious use of a power rack but it's ok for just loosening things out a bit.

Last edited by Ed Flood; 03-08-2010 at 10:04 AM..
Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Jeff, do you work out at home or a gym? What sort of equipment do you have access to?

At the gym, I use a ghd/ghr machine and for weight I use the ankle attachment for the cable crossover machine. I put one on each ankle and attach them to each other with the weight in the middle.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

WFS: http://bretcontreras.wordpress.com/2...nic-back-pain/
Old 03-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Matt Rexin

Profile:

You can use the pads on a pulldown machine to anchor your feet and do reverse hypers that way, with your face to the floor.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Flood View Post
If you have access to a power rack you can lie with your hips across one of the spotter bars and reach over and grab the other one. Add weight by holding a DB between your feet. You probably won't be able to use a whole lot of weight this way, it looks a bit silly, is fairly awkward, you might fall over and it's sacrilegious use of a power rack but it's ok for just loosening things out a bit.
While this replicates the motion, it seems to me that it would defeat the purpose of reverse hypers in that your torso is not supported by the pad.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
Jade Jenny

Profile:

One way I read about. Take a swiss ball, put it on a bench. Lay on your stomach on the bell and grab the underside of the bench with your hands. Hard to do it with weight but that should give you the needed height to perform the exercise.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
Stew Campbell

Profile:

One question I have though is "Do Reverse Hypers help?". In the video Louie said that they "cure disc herniations". Now, it's my understanding that once you've got a herniation, you're stuck with it. Once that anular ring pops it doesn't grow back. Or does it? Has anyone had prolonged success with Reverse Hypers? Or better yet, had another MRI that showed the herniation no longer there?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
Chris J Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew Campbell View Post
One question I have though is "Do Reverse Hypers help?". In the video Louie said that they "cure disc herniations". Now, it's my understanding that once you've got a herniation, you're stuck with it. Once that anular ring pops it doesn't grow back. Or does it? Has anyone had prolonged success with Reverse Hypers? Or better yet, had another MRI that showed the herniation no longer there?
I think Louie's point is that he has seen/worked with people with disc herniations that resolved their back pain issues.