CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Lindy Hruska

Profile:
DIY whiteboard?

I've been doing some research about making a whiteboard, ideally magnetic. Thought that the melamine shower panels from home depot would work, but they don't carry them anymore. Any suggestions? I was thinking of metallic paint covered with whiteboard paint, (if it is still available). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
John Kolody II

Profile:
Re: DIY whiteboard?

I hope you don't get blasted by Brian for not using Google (like I did for 30 seconds) or the search.

Here is a link
http://boarddudesdirect.stores.yahoo...ticboards.html (WFS)

I own one of their small boards that is lined as a calendar. I think their largest unlined magnetic white board is about 24x36. Don't know how big you want or need.

Don't think a fiberglass shower panel will work. Metallic paint does not make things magnetic. I don't know how whiteboard paint works and you would have to be paintng a real smooth surface.

Maybe formica, backed with 24 gauge or higher sheet steel, back by 1/4 ply, then whiteboard painted. Sounds like too much work, may just be better to buy something already made.

Someone may sell the whiteboard sheets other than HD, try some art supply or lumberyards. I don't know.

John
Old 04-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
Clay Jones

Profile:

Whiteboard surfaces are actually a plastic coating, not a paint. At least all the whiteboards at my shcool district are.

Best bet would be to find Melamine panels somewhere.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:31 AM   #4
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kolody II View Post
I hope you don't get blasted by Brian for not using Google (like I did for 30 seconds) or the search.

Here is a link
http://boarddudesdirect.stores.yahoo...ticboards.html (WFS)

I own one of their small boards that is lined as a calendar. I think their largest unlined magnetic white board is about 24x36. Don't know how big you want or need.

Don't think a fiberglass shower panel will work. Metallic paint does not make things magnetic. I don't know how whiteboard paint works and you would have to be paintng a real smooth surface.

Maybe formica, backed with 24 gauge or higher sheet steel, back by 1/4 ply, then whiteboard painted. Sounds like too much work, may just be better to buy something already made.

Someone may sell the whiteboard sheets other than HD, try some art supply or lumberyards. I don't know.

John
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I DID search google and the threads here, quite extensively BEFORE I posted my question. Even planned on making the one with directions that were posted in one of the threads here. But, I went to home depot and lowes to purchase the panels, no luck. I was wanting to make something about 8x6 feet, which gets a little expensive to buy outright, thus the DIY title of my thread. I know the affiliates often have huge whiteboards, was just trying to figure out what people were doing since it appeared that the melamine panels were no longer available. I think I'll give the whiteboard paint a shot and see how that goes.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #5
William Henniger

Profile:

For whatever reason, the whiteboard is carried at Lowe's and not Home Depot. I have found it at nearly all Lowe's stores.

That being said, our latest batch doesn't want to erase very well. If anyone has any pointers for that.

I would like to try the paint, you can get it at Sherwin Williams.

Hope that helps

Bill
Old 04-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
Brian Monk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
For whatever reason, the whiteboard is carried at Lowe's and not Home Depot. I have found it at nearly all Lowe's stores.

That being said, our latest batch doesn't want to erase very well. If anyone has any pointers for that.

Hope that helps

Bill
We tried the rustoleum white board paint here at my office, and it doesn't erase very well. It will erase fine if you use copious amounts of the dry-erase-spray. Kind of a pain in the ***.

My .02
Old 04-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
John Kolody II

Profile:

Lindy

Did you see this site

http://www.usmarkerboard.com/Unframe...Material/45180 (WFS)

Don't know your budget but 4x6 is about $175, and 4x8 is about $225. The magnetic boards are expensive with the 28 gauge steel and porcelain.

The non magnetic boards are $72-$83 (4x8) depending on thickness.
Compare that price to a full sheet of melamine stock that is 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and harder to handle.

Single sided melamine may be found at a better price at a lumberyard than Lowes, a lot of cabinet makers use this stuff.

Sorry about the tone of my first reply.

John
Old 04-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post

Hope that helps

Bill

thanks Bill! I saw the stuff they had at Lowe's, but it wasn't the "shiny" version, and I had heard it doesn't erase as well as the older version. I may give the Sherwin Williams paint a try and post my results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Monk View Post
We tried the rustoleum white board paint here at my office, and it doesn't erase very well. It will erase fine if you use copious amounts of the dry-erase-spray. Kind of a pain in the ***.

My .02
Thanks for the feedback-- I read some reviews on amazon of that stuff, and your comments are very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kolody II View Post
Lindy

Did you see this site

http://www.usmarkerboard.com/Unframe...Material/45180 (WFS)

Don't know your budget but 4x6 is about $175, and 4x8 is about $225. The magnetic boards are expensive with the 28 gauge steel and porcelain.

The non magnetic boards are $72-$83 (4x8) depending on thickness.
Compare that price to a full sheet of melamine stock that is 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and harder to handle.

Single sided melamine may be found at a better price at a lumberyard than Lowes, a lot of cabinet makers use this stuff.

Sorry about the tone of my first reply.

John
Thanks again, John. No worries--I should have been more specific in my initial post with what I had already done. I also had found a magnetic board 4x8ft at Sams for about 200 bucks. I just thought if I could make one easily for about 50 it would be cool.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
Judd Shea

Profile:

I found the whiteboard at my Depot last weekend. Havent' hung it yet, but will do this weekend.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
Wade Smith

Profile:

CF Mainpage, Aug. 14, 2008: http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/004013.html

"Idea Paint": A link from Coach & Lauren for whiteboard-style paint.