CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Nothing but Squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
How do you call it an "asymmetry" when the anterior and posterior are supposed to be different? My understanding is that an asymmetry is only a problem when certain parts of the body are supposed to similar (e.g. left/right).

How would FS/BS, sprinting, and box jumps inhibit the glutes from firing and cause one to become quad dominant? Seems to me that proper form on all of these exercises will involve significant recruitment of the glutes and hamstrings in addition to the hip flexors and quadriceps.

Do you have many sprinter clients come to you with weak hip extension and lack of glute recruitment?
You can have asymmetries front to back as well. Especially when the muscles work on the same joints.
Take the front, for example. The typical bench and biceps guy that does mostly chest, and anterior chain dominant movements. He looks like a gorilla with rounded shoulders and forward head posture. That is asymmetrical. This will increase the likelihood of shoulder pain due to the lack of stability of the scapula in relation to the shoulder joint/humerous/rotator cuff musculature.

Ditto for the back. FS are more quad dominant than posterior chain. The sprinting and jumping too. They will lack optimum extension of the hips which is a key in speed. Again, I'm not saying you can't be a great athlete with them, but I am saying your more likely to get injured, and there's a chance you can be made faster, if you have better movement.

Personally I don't have any sprinters as patients, but I understand the biomechanics of them, and know others that do find these problems most commonly in the athletes I mentioned before.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #12
Brian Carver

Profile:

I wouldn't say that box jumping is quad dominant at all.
Quote:
They will lack optimum extension of the hips which is a key in speed.
I don't see how this can happen if you are doing box jumps correctly (read: for height) and not just doing countless reps at 24" or whatever it is. I don't think that the OP is talking about doing only metcons with these movements, but rather organizing a strength program around these movements--there is a huge difference. Personally, I think if you only do metcon-style workouts then you are creating a completely different type of imbalance, but that is outside of this discussion.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carver View Post
I wouldn't say that box jumping is quad dominant at all. I don't see how this can happen if you are doing box jumps correctly (read: for height) and not just doing countless reps at 24" or whatever it is. I don't think that the OP is talking about doing only metcons with these movements, but rather organizing a strength program around these movements--there is a huge difference. Personally, I think if you only do metcon-style workouts then you are creating a completely different type of imbalance, but that is outside of this discussion.
I said front squats are more quad dominant than the BS. Nothing about box jumps and quad dominance. I said sprinting and box jumps is more for the anterior chain development, and require powerful recruitment of the hip flexors. Just those 3 exercises will result it what I said above. I'm not looking for people to agree with me. I know movement and biomechanics of the body.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Look up Tom Platz haha
Old 07-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #15
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Squat is the king lift according to Louie Simmons.

Why not just do Smolov? Who needs sprinting and jumping? Just squat.

But seriously, I think it'd actually be good to do for a few cycles, like maybe 3 months or so to really boost your leg power. But if that's all you ever did and you never went back to more varied programming I'm not sure it's so great of an idea.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #16
Brian Carver

Profile:

Quote:
Nothing about box jumps and quad dominance.
Quote:
Ditto for the back. FS are more quad dominant than posterior chain. The sprinting and jumping too.
Well if that's what you meant then the thought wasn't organized very well. Either way, jumping and sprinting are largely dependent upon the hip extensors--everyone's favorite glutes and hams. You're the first coach I've ever heard of that says that jumping and sprinting will result in the underdevelopment of hip extension. I'd like to hear your biomechanical analysis of a jump.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #17
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carver View Post
Well if that's what you meant then the thought wasn't organized very well. Either way, jumping and sprinting are largely dependent upon the hip extensors--everyone's favorite glutes and hams. You're the first coach I've ever heard of that says that jumping and sprinting will result in the underdevelopment of hip extension. I'd like to hear your biomechanical analysis of a jump.
I said jumping and sprinting ONLY will result in the less than optimum hip extension. Tight quads and hip flexors will inhibit the hip extensors.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/hip_flexors.htm

I can search for more later, but this article is a start.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #18
Ryan R Johnson

Profile:

okay now that we have some input, heres my reasoning;

i sustained an elbow injury during sport (hyperextension). this made many upper body movements impossible (and things like deadlifts). I focused on what i could do, squats and sprints. Then, i recalled all the articles ive read, citing squats as the most important exercise for sports performance and gaining strength (i know this is debatable). So then the question was born; "what if all i did, was squat?".

the results after 2 weeks? Ive gone up 10 lbs a week on my squat (3 squat workouts per week). My legs are marginally bigger. and the kicker is, i bench pressed for the first time in 3 weeks the other day, and my bench press was slightly stronger ( i gained 1 rep).

now, i never said that i was speaking in the long term. im sure eventually my other strength lifts would degrade. but for the time being im enjoying the experiment.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #19
Mark Boyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
I said front squats are more quad dominant than the BS. Nothing about box jumps and quad dominance. I said sprinting and box jumps is more for the anterior chain development, and require powerful recruitment of the hip flexors. Just those 3 exercises will result it what I said above. I'm not looking for people to agree with me. I know movement and biomechanics of the body.
How is sprinting quad dominant? From what I understand, all elite sprinters have very strong posterior chains.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #20
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Boyle View Post
How is sprinting quad dominant? From what I understand, all elite sprinters have very strong posterior chains.
My point is that it creates assymetries which increase likelihood of injury. NOT that you can't be an elite anything with assymetries, but your risk of injury is that much greater.

Most sports lead to these assymetries. The less sports you play the greater your chance of creating these. Maybe that's another reason why most don't age gracefully, at least physically speaking.