CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #21
Craig Horstman

Profile:
Re: Blending Met-cons and GSLP, how to do it

tom, what are you wanting to do with dips? are you working on bodyweight or wanting to do weighted?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #22
Tom Stepp

Profile:

Hello Mr. Craig, been ready your log and posts. One of the reasons I am taking the route I am. First Thanks for standing on the wall and be safe.
I purchased the GSLP after reading EVERY post on the SV forum under nutrition and the GSLP program and its my understanding that JP recommends the bodyweight dips for those who cannot do chins,.......me. I can do 15-16 dips right now for 3 sets with maybe 3-5 minutes rest between sets.

Brendan, again thanks. I do hit the sack about 9:00 every night. Target date to start is 2 April if I can get the garage straight I will try and start a log and keep it updated.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #23
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I think you misread something...bodyweight dips aren't going to do anything to help you get better at chins. Dips are a pressing movement, chins are a pulling movement. So they're pretty much opposites, though there may be some carryover from one to the other.

If you're still working on getting your first chins you'll want to do some combination of body rows, DB rows, and negative chins a few times a week.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #24
Craig Horstman

Profile:

as eric will tell you (like he told me) dips will help your presses and develop you arms. as for the chins, go with the fm's/ladders and pull-downs. those will be your best bet at developing pulls. i would think, and eric can correct me if i'm wrong, if you want to work dips, with the number of body weight you can do now, you could start adding weight and shooting for 2-3 sets of 12. welcome to gslp, and thanks for the support
Old 03-23-2012, 04:52 AM   #25
Tom Stepp

Profile:

Eric, Craig, you are correct. Page 39 of the pdf. To much reading not enough comprehension and retention on my part. Thanks again guys keep me straight.
As much as I like my box and the owner/trainer I feel a little guilty about starting this strength phase outside of my time under instruction.

have a good day
Old 03-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #26
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Well hopefully your coaches are willing to work with you to do whatever best meets your goals. They shouldn't have any problems with people wanting to get stronger if the normal classes aren't fitting their needs.

When I was coaching we had plenty of people doing supplemental PL/OL type programs outside our normal group classes and we were fine with it as long as they were following a real program and not something thrown together ad hoc, and as long as they had enough proficiency to lift safely without constant observation. We'd still give spot coaching every now and then, but there's only so much I can do to help someone if I'm not on the clock as a coach.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #27
Tom Stepp

Profile:

My "guilt" comes from the encouragement and quality of instruction I have gotten from the coach/trainer and staff. The time spent with an out of shape fat man is appreciated deeply. Answers my questions, gives individual instruction, hands on, for mobility work for my trouble spots. Hey I found a good one. I feel I owe some loyalty I guess.
But.... I feel as if I am weak as a **** ant. I know the young guns at the box all do additional strength work. I will never be able to increase my work output if I don't get stronger. She can't change the programming for 200 other people just to suit me. The owner teaches the USA Weightlifting class on Saturdays that I attend, and Fridays are spent working Olympic skill sets.........so I have my goals, a plan, a place, and your help.

Tom
Old 03-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #28
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Sounds like you have a good coach, so she should be understanding of the fact that you need to get stronger. No need to feel guilty about wanting to focus on weaknesses.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #29
Dan Thomas

Profile:

Gentlemen,

A question about the loads. Is there anything wrong with dropping the weight slightly for the 5+ sets? For example, my squat 5RM is 225, and I can handle that fine for the 2x5, but then I'm wasted for the 5+. Can I drop to 205 to get 6-8 reps? Or should I drop the weight from the start?

Last edited by Dan Thomas; 04-15-2012 at 05:59 PM..
Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #30
Craig Horstman

Profile:

drop the weight on the 5x2 sets so you can get your max reps on the last set.