CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Josh Bailey

Profile:
Cholesterol, Nuts, Fruits, and Autoimmune diseases

So, I decided to try Paleo. This site paleodietlifestyle dude is saying that "you should consider avoiding nuts and fruits all together if you have an autoimmune disease."
I have never heard this before. Any ideas why?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 12-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Josh Bailey

Profile:
Re: Cholesterol, Nuts, Fruits, and Autoimmune diseases

That title should read Nuts, Fruits, and Autoimmune diseases. No cholesterol.
Thanks.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:09 AM   #3
Kyle Myrick

Profile:

from Robb Wolf's blog
Emerging research has made clear the link between Neolithic foods (grains, legumes and dairy) and autoimmune diseases such as Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis and a host of other less well know conditions. Many people have found significant improvements in autoimmune disease by eliminating the Neolithic foods and building a diet around nutritious Paleo options. If you suffer from an autoimmune disease we highly recommend you start a Paleo diet and let us know what your results are. To give your body its best chance to heal we recommend that you initially limit the following foods:

•Eggs
•Tomatoes & eggplants
•Peppers including bell peppers and hot peppers
•Spices such as curries, paprika, and chili powder.

Some of these otherwise Paleo-friendly foods have been shown to be problematic in individuals with autoimmune issues. We recommend you fully remove not only these foods but also all Neolithic foods (grains, breads, potatoes, beans and dairy) for at least a month to see if they pose a problem for you.
Nothing in there about fruits or nuts. I just started Paleo myself on Monday so I'm not an expert at it.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Nuts, well peanuts are legumes. Some folks worry about the high sugar content of fruit and possible inflammatory properties of that. The peppers are nightshades which can be inflammatory for some as well.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Moral of the story is don't eat anything or talk to anyone if you never want to catch anything.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

I personally don't know the answer to this, you could probably reach out to Robb or Dallas/Melissa of Whole9 via either their websites or facebook and get a quick certain answer.

My guess is the fact that those with autoimmune disorders are immensely more sensitive to inflammation, so the recommendation is based on mitigating as much inflammation as possible. The sugar/fructose in fruit was already mentioned, in terms of nuts it would be the fact that they are high in Omega 6 fats and really easy to go overboard on fast. A person with autoimmune will likely need to make more of an effort to keep their O6 to O3 ratio in line than the average paleo dieter.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
A person with autoimmune will likely need to make more of an effort to keep their O6 to O3 ratio in line than the average paleo dieter.
Am I right in thinking this should be ~1:1?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #8
Liz Wolfe

Profile:

I agree with the mitigation of inflammation at all costs, but I also think it's interesting to note that most lectins seem to be destroyed by heat. (The lectin argument is getting dated, and quickly, at least when it comes to grains and beans. I still wouldn't eat them, but...)

I'm thinking that guy's objection to nuts was probably the fact that nuts have some lectin content. If you're concerned about it, you can always soak and dehydrate nuts to ensure any concerning anti-nutrients are broken down by heat.

If the objection was based on "pro-inflammatory" O6, just don't overdo the nuts, or opt for something like macadamias, which have a closer-to-optimal O3-O6 profile.

The optimal ration is THOUGHT to be between 1:1 and 1:4, although I think it can go a bit higher based on the common ratio in the tissue of appropriately fed ruminants.

I think that the optimization of gut/digestive flora is going to be the next frontier in this arena. Gut flora can completely mitigate the effects of dietary anti-nutrients in the body. If I were working with someone with autoimmunity, that'd be the first place I'd look.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 AM   #9
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Wolfe View Post
I think that the optimization of gut/digestive flora is going to be the next frontier in this arena. Gut flora can completely mitigate the effects of dietary anti-nutrients in the body. If I were working with someone with autoimmunity, that'd be the first place I'd look.
Liz, really interested in this. Any information/links on what this would involve? All I know about gut flora is what I've seen on those probiotic yoghurt ads! Thanks very much.