CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-12-2006, 10:17 PM   #11
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
I am a toxicology guy by trade....

Artificial sweeteners……

Eliminate your sugar cravings, and they become a mute point.

They, along with sugar laden foods, are disgusting to me.. and they will be to you too if you stick to a healthy diet for a while.

Coffee.... best drank raw... and wriggling.. my precious. (Damn I miss it).
Brad
Old 04-12-2006, 11:09 PM   #12
Marc Moffett

Profile:
Garrett, I'm not sure I understood your point, but of course CF can kill people--all it takes is a little genetic susceptability and Fran will blow your heart out like an old tire.

As far as artificial sweeteners go. If I am going to indulge, it might as well be with the real thing--get some actual bang for my buck. I am highly sceptical of anecdotal evidence--at most it tells you the range of possibilities, but nothing about probabilities. Still, it seems like a good theoretical bet that there will be adverse consequences from the consumption of artificial sweetners and that they should be eschewed. But I think the short answer to John's question is that there isn't any solid, clinical evidence that the regular (but moderate?) consumption of artificial sweetners will have any significant adverse short term effects on things like muscle building for most people.

I don't know exactly why John is interested in that particular issue, perhaps the discussion could be more helpful if we knew this.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:01 AM   #13
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I admit, I use splenda and will have about 1 diet Pepsi a week...with no adverse effects! I kind of hope the Crossfit and Zone diet will counter any negative side effects of a 3/4 - 2 packet of splenda a day habit! Brief story: Last week I'm sitting across an interrogation table from a homeless guy, who drowned a dude. This guy is (technical term) loony. Believes it's 1954, told me Abe Lincoln told him to kill the guy, etc. This guy drinks water out of the Chicago river north canal! Let's just say that people who touch the water, decon. My guy eats garbage, drinks contaminated water, is completely crazy and is 58 years old...been like this for 30 years (excepting the time he was the "neutron bomb operator, in Viet Nam, in 1953.") I don't think mister crazy works out, besides killing people who honest Abe tells him to. What's the point...humans could take a lot of crap. Measured intakes of Splenda ain't going to effect your workouts or kill you. If your sensitive don't drink it. And the Mountain Dew's got more stuff in it than Splenda that could give you a headache.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:47 AM   #14
Jason Billows

Profile:
For those trying to avoid artificial sweeteners in their whey protein, look for one with ground cocoa. I use one called... uh... I want to say cytomax but I'm not sure. Anyway, no artificial sweeteners, but still tastes nice and chocolaty.

Here's what turned me off of artificial sweeteners a couple of years back. I was on a "diet" and suddenly got a candy craving. Not wanting to blow my diet I decided to pick up some sugar free candy. Still sweet with no sugar or calories. Good idea, right. WRONG! I ate a bunch of these sugar free jelly beans. Probably more than I should have, but not a ridiculous amount. Well, about an hour later my stomach gurgled a little, then a little more. Before I knew it I was sitting on the john wondering how I was going to get home from work without a diaper. I went to my doctor the next day and he said it was the artificial sweeteners in the candy. Ever since then I avoid it at all costs.

Eat well most of the time and if you do find yourself having a craving for sweets, indulge in the good stuff. After all, I view doing CF and eating well as a way to allow me the pleasure of have the odd piece of cake every once in a while.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:45 AM   #15
Garrett Smith

Profile:
My main issue with artificial sweeteners is that they seem to anecdotally cause a lot more side effects than they are "supposed to"--note the several people chiming in on this thread.

Acute side effects from synthetic compounds are interpreted by me as having the potential to create chronic disease in those not acutely sensitive.

If someone gets older and their brain isn't working as well as they and their close friends think it should be, how then do they go about placing blame on anything, be it artificial sweeteners or their factory job? We are all experiments of one, not probability guinea pigs.

No company is doing really long-term (decades-long) studies on any of this stuff, and rats just don't give the best "intellectual" feedback.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:02 AM   #16
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Whew! I am glad I am not going to die (today) from my added sweetener -but- I hear what most of you are saying and I am drinking black coffee today (once you go black, somethingsomething. . .)

I will probably try to fill my next whey installment with Power Whey Stack, or the stuff Jason mentioned.

For me, I can totally live without the 'extra flavor'. So why the hell am I eating the stuff? (hypothetical question). Thanks for the info.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:42 AM   #17
David Wood

Profile:

FWIW, I gave up all artificial sweeteners (and 99% of sugar) about a year ago. Prior to that I drank 2 - 3 Diet Coke / day, plus used Splenda in my coffee.

Went cold turkey on all of it as a 50th birthday present to myself . . . expected it to be horrible. Surprisingly, it turned out to be very easy. Have not had a soda since, and haven't missed it. Do the coffee with milk, or black, but always unsweetened.

You risk death suggesting I give up the coffee itself, however . . . one addiction at at time.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #18
Jamila Bey

Profile:
Ditto here. I get headaches, and cramps worse than anything I've had before! Thing is, I never know if I'll be spared (just one diet soda or sugar-free, lactose-free ice cream) or if the experience will make me think I'm dying.

I once knew a guy with a seizure disorder. He would drink aspartame (rarely) and have an episode. His doctors couldn't figure it out and wouldn't confirm his theory, but he went Diet Coke and chewing gum free and last we spoke, he was seizure free two years and counting. Down from one episode every other month.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #19
Ted Williams

Profile:
No science behind this (at least, none that I really care or know about), but I pretty much make it a rule to stay away from unnatural food products. I know it can't be avoided in some things, especially if you eat out for lunch like I usually do.

I would go for real sugar over artificial any day. I can't eat regular "candy" anymore...and I almost puked at my sister's wedding last week, when the wedding cake was SOOOO sugar laden...nasty, and the piece I had made me feel sick for the whole next day.

Brad - what happend to that pic of your with an M1, guarding the coffee? Dang man, gone soft! I gave it up for quite some time, when trying the Perricone diet with my wife...that was before Crossfit, and before I had heard of the Zone...now I am pretty addicted again. I might need to scale back some, as I get BAD headaches if I miss my morning coffee...
Old 04-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #20
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Ted,

:-(

I know.. but coffee was a culprit with a blood pressure problem I had.

Brad