CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Jonathan Hurwitz

Profile:
L-glutamine,, your thoughts?

What are your thoughts on L-glutamine? Benefits vs side affects and were you happy with what it did for you?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
BMH

Profile:  
Re: L-glutamine,, your thoughts?

Personally, don't think it is worth it if you have a decent whey.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I've thought the same thing. I think Glutamine was touted as the NEXT supplement and honestly it never HIT.

However, it is good for some uses.

Poliquin likes it for leaky gut and mass gain.

WFS

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Blog/...-plateaus.aspx
Old 05-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

I use it, It has its benefits. Do a google search on it and do some homework on it. I did a lot of homework on it before I started taking it. Here this may be worth a read for you. The link is work safe: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glutamine.htm .

I take (100% whey, Creatine Monohydrate, Glutamine)-post workout, Arginine(right before bed), (a multi vitamin, and fish oils)-with breakfast. I think I am about to add casein protein to my diet as well, as a before bed shake.

I have seen good results visually, strength wise, and doing other WOD's at the box. Whether or not glutamine can be attributed to it, im not sure. I do know that whatever I am doing, it has been working well. And because glutamine is a part of that equation, I plan on keeping it in my diet.

WIth any supplement in general, or should I say quality supplement, most of them will help you when taken correctly with a correct diet. But, no supplement will work like magic. There's no substitute for hard work, the supplements just seem to make it easier for the body to recover so it can go back at it the next day. With that said, I am a believer in supplements, and i would recommend Glutamine and Arginine as well. Look up the health benefits of taking arginine right before bed. IT also makes you have the most vivid dreams.

just my .02, but everyone has a different philosophy. My suggestion would be to do some serious homework on it and if it sounds good, try it and if you like it, stay with it.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Glutamine can help support your immune system during intense training and I think that is huge for most CrossFitters. If your protein intake is sufficient you don't necessarily need to supplement with it, but it can't hurt.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Douglas Menikheim

Profile:

Chris, any brands that you might recommend? I was looking into adding it to my post workout shake, but don't want to get anything that isnt quality
Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Damon Stewart

Profile:

I started supplementing Glutamine on days I train after noticing I was catching all the colds and flu's that came through our gym. That was nearly 3 years ago. Have not had a cold/flu since. In my experience it does help with athletes immune system. Pubmed has studies showing it does help, some showing it doesn't. It worked for me.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Not worth it, too many mixed studies on its effectiveness. As mentioned before, in most quality supplements there is plenty found in it.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #9
Graeme Moore

Profile:

I was taking ~10g daily about a year ago, for the immunity benefits, and tbh I felt good, better than before i was on it. I researched it a bit more and found some convincing arguments for it not being effective due to the fact that our natural glutamine is produced in the pituitary (sp?) gland and is only effective if delivered from there, and orally ingested stuff can't impact on the function of the pituitary gland so is therefore worthless.

However, I have been considering getting back on it as I did feel better and there's some trusted people who advocate it.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Albert Hoenigmann

Profile:

Ive been taking L- Glutamine on and off for a couple of years now. I was taking the Vitacost generic brand and noticed less sickness in general and during high volume training. A couple guys that I train with said that they noticed less colds since taking it. I take 10 grams on days that my training volume exceeds my usual.