CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-31-2007, 05:12 PM   #11
Rebecca Corbett

Profile:
Re: Suppliments advice

Jonathan,

I challenge you to do this when looking at supplements to add. When given advice ask this simple question, "where is your research for that and can I have a copy?" There are tons of people out there suggesting all kinds of various supplements. We should be able to get almost everything we need from diet, however for many reasons this is not happening. The only 2 things I take are fishoil and probiotic, and only because I can't get enough of the benefits from whole foods.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:20 PM   #12
Bryant A Buchanan

Profile:
Re: Suppliments advice

Can I get an answer from anyone on if they think Beta-Alanine is great for a crossfitter. It has alot of science behind it just as creatine does and it sounds like it stacked with creatine can lead to outstanding productivity maybe it's something that can become a base supplement like creatine if it isn't already.

work friendly:
http://www.beta-alanine.net/

And also another supplement I have heard a whole lot about and am going to try real soon along with the beta-alanine my multi and fish oil is:

How does citrulline malate benefit the athlete?

Citrulline malate improves aerobic performance and capacity by influencing lactic acid metabolism and reducing fatigue. Studies in Europe, where citrulline malate has been used for over 20 years, demonstrate reduction in mental and physical fatigue and exhaustion in geriatric and post-surgery patients. Laboratory studies with rats and microbes support the results seen in humans. Administration of citrulline malate to animals protected against acidosis and ammonia poisoning. In a microbial model, malate accelerated the clearance of ammonium and citrulline facilitated lactate metabolism. The results suggest a synergistic action of the complex.

Supplementation of citrulline malate to humans has shown promising results. French researchers reported in several human studies that blood lactate concentrations were reduced and ammonia elimination was increased after physical exertion. Rapid recovery from physical effort correlated to the disappearance of lactate from blood after performance at a high level of acidosis suggesting an essential role in acid-base balance.

Effects on metabolism in the finger flexor muscles after 15 days of citrulline malate supplementation were determined during exercise. Subject reports of significant reduction in fatigue were supported by an increase in the rate of oxidative ATP and energy production.

Two groups of basketball players were supplemented with citrulline malate for over 13 days with two different dosages. The group with the higher dosage had significant improvements in maximal workload during an exercise test on a cycle ergometer. Although fewer improved on the second maximal cycling test, the authors concluded that citrulline malate may improve aerobic performance.