CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-30-2007, 09:34 PM   #1
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Zone and IF conflict

OK, I think I have a good handle on Sears and the Zone.

Paleo also makes perfect sense

So does IF

Here is my dilema, I am asking for opinions:

Is Sears off base on his eat within one hour of waking mandate? Does IF cause hormonal issues when not eating until afternoon or evening?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
Joe Gasparre

Profile:
Re: Zone and IF conflict

Yeah I have the same question. I don't understand this either. My cousin who destroys me in all the workouts doesn't IF and is a strict Zoner and believer of eating 1 hour after waking, as well as all of the Zone principles. I trust my cousin but seeing everyone talking about this IF I think I might question him on it.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #3
Brad Davis

Profile:

I'll be interested to see what the gurus say about this one, but in the meantime, I'll offer my amateur opinion. I've been IFing for about 5 weeks and like it.

If you look at the fitness world overall, you'll see NUMEROUS ideas of how to eat. Folks report doing great using food selections that vary from raw vegan fruitarian to "eat what I want as long as it's not processed junk." Folks also report doing great using meal timing that varies from all food in 4 hours to 6-8 small meals/day.

Considering the huuugggeee variation in diets that all seem to be working for people, I'd guess that any "mandate" (meaning if anybody doesn't do "x" he'll suffer some undesirable consequence) is dubious other than "eat about the right amount of food and make it ultra high quality."

Anyway, my amateur $0.02.

Last edited by Brad Davis; 12-30-2007 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: thought of a better way to say something...
Old 12-31-2007, 03:12 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Regardless of what others think or are doing, what works / doesn't work, might not apply to you.

Just try it for a few months, "it" being anything you're wondering about. Meal timing, different ratio's, quality of proteins, yada, yada, yada, yada. Make some notes, then change your routine, make some notes.

In six months, you'll have a pretty good idea of what works for YOU.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

What you say makes total sense. My trouble is I go at things with a great deal of "conviction" and tend to get results if I try hard enough, gets me into trouble at times with injuries. Real hard to be totally objective on some of these things, for me at least.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
Derek Weaver

Profile:

This is a good question. I'd say you should also check out Art Devany's "Evolutionary Fitness". You'll get a pretty unique, and at least in my opinion, effective approach.

As Jay said, black box each approach for at least a few weeks, take notes, keep an eye on the mirror (the best bf test) and then decide.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gasparre View Post
Yeah I have the same question. I don't understand this either. My cousin who destroys me in all the workouts doesn't IF and is a strict Zoner and believer of eating 1 hour after waking, as well as all of the Zone principles. I trust my cousin but seeing everyone talking about this IF I think I might question him on it.
What's to question? A lot of people are talking about IF while he's destroying you in workouts. As Jay said, find what works for you.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
Brad Davis

Profile:

Joe, your cousin's food vs workout performance might not mean a thing as it relates to you.

I have a counter-example for you. I can think of one trainer who does CF-like workouts and is lean, muscular, and is as beastlike as anybody I've ever seen, here or elsewhere. His attitude toward diet is to simply make good food choices and eat sensibly. Makes no effort to avoid neolithic foods or eat a specific macronutrient ratio. He might be a great athlete despite his food choices.

The only rational thing to do is try it for yourself like Jay recommended. Compare YOUR numbers. It's totally worthless to compare results of others, IMO. I *think* what you'd find is that you'd drop performance at first with IF, then wouldn't see a difference. You might find that you like IF better for the rest of your life outside the WOD--then again maybe not.

I think it would be extremely interesting to see a controlled experiment with CF elite athletes to see the effect of diets. For example, imagine that several of them have been eating Zone/Paleo for a time and have become fairly stable at their elite levels--there's the control for the experiment. Then try something like the SimpleFit guidelines for 6 months to see what happens. Perhaps also have some try IFing for 6 months to see what happens. That would be cool. So far, I've only read "they do Zone/Paleo and are elite" or "they switched to Zone/Paleo and became elite" (might've become elite at that point in time anyway) which seems to be a far cry from proving causation. Perhaps this has been done or proven some other way that I'm not aware of. If we're so confident of Zone/Paleo, then it should be proven during such an experiment, right (a little good-natured heckling, LOL)?

Last edited by Brad Davis; 01-01-2008 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: thought of something else to say...