CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Jonathan Hurwitz

Profile:
Paleo,, to high in cholestrol

Is paleo diet not to high in cholestrol?
My brother would like to start it but his only fears are that his just above the normal amount for cholestrol will shoot up to being high cholestrol

thanks
Old 05-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Paleo,, to high in cholestrol

Read this (WFS). Robb Wolf's book also has some pretty good analysis of the subject.

The short answer is that dietary cholesterol has minimal impact on your levels of the kinds of cholesterol you really need to worry about. Excessive intake of processed carbohydrates is the biggest culprit for out of whack cholesterol numbers.

It's easy enough to get blood work done now and compare it to blood work after 30 days of Paleo eating. Without knowing anything more about your brother's situation, I'd be willing to bet $5 that his numbers would improve rather than get worse after a month of eating unprocessed foods, even if a lot of those foods are higher in cholesterol.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Read this (WFS). Robb Wolf's book also has some pretty good analysis of the subject.

The short answer is that dietary cholesterol has minimal impact on your levels of the kinds of cholesterol you really need to worry about. Excessive intake of processed carbohydrates is the biggest culprit for out of whack cholesterol numbers.

It's easy enough to get blood work done now and compare it to blood work after 30 days of Paleo eating. Without knowing anything more about your brother's situation, I'd be willing to bet $5 that his numbers would improve rather than get worse after a month of eating unprocessed foods, even if a lot of those foods are higher in cholesterol.

this^^
Old 05-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Martha Lamb

Profile:

[/QUOTE]
It's easy enough to get blood work done now and compare it to blood work after 30 days of Paleo eating. Without knowing anything more about your brother's situation, I'd be willing to bet $5 that his numbers would improve rather than get worse after a month of eating unprocessed foods, even if a lot of those foods are higher in cholesterol.[/QUOTE]

This has been my experience. At my last physical when I told my doctor that I was drinking lots of whole milk and eating two eggs every day, she said, "Well, let's see how your cholesterol looks. . . " My numbers were better than optimal; the best I've ever posted. She was also concerned that my lifting heavy weights was going to hurt me, but my bone density scan showed that my previous osteoporosis was reversed. . . I'm sticking with my program. Grass fed beef, free-range chicken eggs, whole organic milk, lots of fresh vegetables & fruits, walnuts & almonds, cheese and fish. Bear in mind that I eat almost NO wheat or starches.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
David Hansen

Profile:

My single anecdotal data point is that dietary cholesterol has absolutely zero impact on serum cholesterol. Your miles may vary, but I'd be willing to bet "your brother" would experience the same thing.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:01 AM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Hurwitz View Post
Is paleo diet not to high in cholestrol?
My brother would like to start it but his only fears are that his just above the normal amount for cholestrol will shoot up to being high cholestrol

thanks
Dietary cholesterol does raise serum cholesterol but not to the same extent as saturated fats. This is one of the reasons why health authorities advise people to reduce their consumption of hard fats such as butter and lard, eat less red meat, select leaner cuts of red meat and/or replace red meat with poultry, seafood or legumes in some meals.

Dietary fats and dietary sterols for cardiovascular health.

Dietary lipids and blood cholesterol: quantitative meta-analysis of metabolic ward studies.

FAO.org - Fats and Oils in Human Nutrition.

FAO.org - Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw; 05-31-2011 at 04:06 AM..
Old 05-31-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
My single anecdotal data point is that dietary cholesterol has absolutely zero impact on serum cholesterol. Your miles may vary, but I'd be willing to bet "your brother" would experience the same thing.
I would like to merge my single data point study with yours. So now it can be referred to as the 2 Davids cholesterol study.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hancock View Post
I would like to merge my single data point study with yours. So now it can be referred to as the 2 Davids cholesterol study.
Does being named David have any bearing on the results or is it simply a coincidence?

Old 05-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Does being named David have any bearing on the results or is it simply a coincidence?

Thats going to require further study.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
Jason David

Profile:

When I was obese I had high cholesterol. My Dr's advice was to 'keep an eye on that' and that I should eat a lower fat diet. Fast forward a few years...

Lost weight (eating paleo), started CrossFit and at the time I ate roughly 300% of the US RDA of fat and saturated fat. My cholesterol #'s were all better than what is considered 'healthy'. Her response to that (having good cholesterol #'s with all that fat in my diet) was "genetics". Haven't been back since...