CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Heres a question for everyone out there regarding the CFWU. In a nutshell, I was just wondering how long it took everyone to eventually get conditioned enough so the CFWU was just that - a warmup, and didnt feel like a WOD itself. =) Just wondering. Also, I was wondering how many of you all have actually done the Athletic Skill Standards, and how long it took some of you to progress through them. I am looking at checking my progress with that, as well as my times from the WOD's. I am looking at trying Level 1 of the Athletic Skill Standards sometime at the end of the month, breaking it up into three workout sessions before my WODS for that day. Let me know if that sounds right, and what your alls opinions are on all that. Thanks in advance for any help/suggesstions you might have.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Also, as an add on question to my previous post, what do you all think of substituting the CFWU sometimes in the week for skills training? I.E. muscle up work, knees to elbows, things like that. Anything that can be considered a skill move? Just wanting to do a sanity check. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Profile:
There is nothing saying to warmup for Crossfit that you have to do the CFWU, if you sift through some threads you'll see a lot of recommendations for different warmup methods.

As for the Skill standards, when doing the WOD's as RX'ed I let myself have a deload week and did the majority of the testing then. Otherwise I'd test them I'd usually do them after my workouts since I looked at those items as a "wonder where I'm at" and sometimes the WOD's themselves can lend itself to crossing off items in a given week/month.

David Werner said to to pass a level you need to be able to complete all tasks for that level within the time period of a month.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Thanks Allen, Ill poke around a bit on the threads. I have been doing mostly a mobility/flexibility type warmup (stretching, etc) As far as the A.S.S. goes, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness
Old 03-14-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Chris,

I used the CFWU when I was consistently following the WOD about a year ago and found that it helped mobility a lot through the samson stretch and the PVC-OHSquat. The dips were also something I benefited from. The pullups on the other hand ended up doing me more harm than good.

My warm-up now still includes the OHS and samson stretch as I think these are excellent movements.

My current goal is to gain a little weight and while doing so work on my strength with the Level 3 of the standards in mind. Since my weaknesses are core lifting movements, I anticipate ~2 months to get the 2x bw deadlift, 1.25 bw bench, 1x bw clean, and 1x bw OHS. Otherwise, the rest of the skills will fall into place(for me). This is to say that, too each their own in terms of a time progression. I really don't know if the work/metcon or the strength/power aspects are harder to develop but I would guess the latter.

-Dan
Old 03-14-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Daniel Miller

Profile:
ps- I've always been somewhat of a number chaser, so the CF-North athletic standard list is like gold to me.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Dan,

Thanks for the input. I also read your posts on elbow tendonitis, as I am the recepiant of a doozy of a case in my left elbow right now, mainly from pull ups and muscle ups. Aside from ice/heat, NSAID's, and laying off of the elbow for a week or so, do you have any other advice for healing it. My dang elbow feels likes its going to rip out whenever I try to do a pull up, and is sore about 2 hours after I stop working out. Thanks again for the input on the standards and warm up.