CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Chris Calabrese

Profile:
Experienced crossfitter - back to college, can't afford CF gym fees

Hey all. I recently decided to make a huge career leap by going back to grad school for screenwriting at age 31 recently. Prior to that, I had been a software engineer, and more importantly, I had been actively doing crossfit for about a year.

Because of the career leap, I have literally zero income for the next two years (instead, I'm plunging headfirst into unimaginable debt with student loans). Every Crossfit gym has rates that are absurdly out of my league ($100+ month isn't even close to manageable on zero income). "Regular" gyms (while much more affordable) are filled with nothing but worthless machines.

I'm well versed in the Crossfit exercises. I had very thorough training as to the proper execution, so the training is not an issue.

What I am looking for from the wonderful CF community is suggestions as to how to best access resources with which to do as much of the CF routine as possible without paying for a CF gym (or building my own...also too expensive, plus I'm living in an apartment). If you guys/gals have any suggestions, I assure you they will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Experienced crossfitter - back to college, can't afford CF gym fees

Does your school have a gym?

If not, look around for a Golds or 24 Hour Fitness where you can often get a contract for $10-20 per month. You can do your strength training and some basic conditioning there. Other than that, sprint some hills, do some burpees, throw around odd objects, etc. for conditioning.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Stephen Smith

Profile:

I don't know what's available in Santa Ana, but there are plenty of decent Globo-gyms out there with reasonable rates, and while there will be plenty of crap equipment, just ignore it. Just find a gym that has a squat rack, which will most likely be one of the least-used pieces of equipment in the gym, which will be to your benefit.

I can't speak for all the Gold's Gyms in Southern California, but the one in Murrieta has a huge room with a basketball court on one side, their Zumba area on the other, and a large area in the middle dedicated to Crossfit-friendly equipment. They have kettlebells up to 24 Kg, a sled with a long strip of astroturf for sled push/pulls, large tires for flipping, tons of free weights, medicine balls, all the pullup bars you could ask for... Plus, 2 squat racks in the main gym area. I'm sure the OC has to at least match the facilities we have out here in the IE...

Edit: They even let me bring chalk in, although I had to clear it with a manager first...
Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Jessica Seabright

Profile:

You've already gotten some great ideas! I know you're a really busy guy, but do any of the boxes in your area need Coaches? I believe my box doesn't charge the monthly fee in exchange for Coaching (and they obviously get to do the WOD's too).

Hope you find a way to make it work!!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
Kate Head

Profile:

Maybe you could find a buddy that has a gym in there home.... Train them. You may meet some new CF peps in your new venture.
Or you could just use the bodyweight WODs for the next 2 years. There is always lifting the house furniture around if you need a weight hit.
I feel for you but great sacrifice leads to great gain, so good luck with it all.

Is there a youth centre you could volunteer at in return use there gym?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

The reason I never joined a CrossFit Box is because I could get great workouts in my Globo gym and the gym at work. All you need is a squat rack and see if they have an all-purpose room where you can do MetCons.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Hey, talk to this guy! http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=79547 (wfs, of course)

He's right around the corner from you practically, has a garage gym and is looking for people to work out with!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Vic Carter

Profile:

I would invest in some equipment. Find a park around your home that has pull up bars and you can get in a wide variety of work in. Things that I would invest in would be rings, cheap oly bar and some bumper plates (can be pricey but worth it), sand bag if you can't get oly bar and bumpers, a kettlebell, or some dumbbell with plates. Another possibility is to find an Affiliate around you and see if they would trade a membership for cleaning up. Good luck.