CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
James Falkner

Profile:
I'll be in SF next month. I know there's an afilliate there and I've visited before but this time I'll be without a car and don't want to taxi or run to CF SF from the union square area.. so... I know this is a longshot, but.. anyone know of a park or other outdoor (or indoor, but not a gym) location to get in a good CF workout in? Ideally a place to do pullups would be nice! I just don't want to do the ole bodyweight-in-the-hotelroom routine and the hotel gyms usually suck as far as CF goes..
Old 11-22-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Jim Phillips

Profile:
I am pretty sure Washington Square on Columbus Ave. at Union St. has a playground. I don't know about bars.

Also, the Embarcadero (straight down Market St. to the piers) is a great running area and has plenty of concrete benches and railings to jump on and do push ups off. Skaters love it there. You can probably find something to do pull ups on as well.

Another option is finding some outdoor stairs to run or climb. Check around Coit Tower and Telegraph Hill.

If none of that works out there are always hill sprints. There is no shortage of those here.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Washington square does have playground equipment,but depending on the time of day it does get a lot of use by kids...d*** kids....just kidding.

the only thing I would add to Jim's comment is that the embarcadero YMCA on Stuard (sp?), where Market ends, has a decent set-up for crossfit. Lots of machines, etc, but that just means so waiting at the free weights.

I go there when I travel to SF and have never been admonished for doing CF stuff but I've never done any overhead lifts, lots of cleans but no snatch. Did wallball in the bball gym adjacent to the weightroom, "box" jumps onto a bench, etc.

PS. the pullup bar does suck though. It's attached to one of those pulley machines that gets a lot of use and the bar itself is very thin and rather slick.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
Buena Vista park is an easy 10min. bus ride away (just catch the 71, 7 or 6 from market St.) at haight and central. There's a small playground about half-way up (the park is on a steep hill) with rings. When are you in town? We may be able to arrange a ride for you up to CFSF...email me.

-Adrian