CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #1
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
I will be having a KB seminar for both beginners and intermediate lifters at CrossFit North in Seattle on Sunday, Dec. 10th. Beginners 11-2pm and Interm. from 2:30 to 5:30pm. Cost $50 for 1 and $95 for both. KBs provided, but you can bring your own.

I will be giving an Intermedite KB workshop in MT. Vernon at MT.BAKER CROSSFIT on Dec. 16th, Saturday from 9am until Noon. KBs will be provided, but you can bring yours.

If you are interested (or know someone in the area who might be) email me at kbfiremantom AT yahoo.com and put "KB workshop" in the subject line, please.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 11-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
I am also going to be putting on some more workshops on in January and February, so if you are interested in learning how to use KBs, please email me (please put "KB training" in your email's subject line) at kbfiremantom AT yahoo.com

I am also willing to drive around the state (and to the Portland OR area) with my van filled with KBs to teach KBs. I can get you and your friends/athletes/teammates going with just a few hours of instruction.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
Skip Chase

Profile:
This will be our 3rd (2 at Mt Baker CrossFit and 1 at CrossFit North)workshop with Tom. I have learned something new from Tom during each workshop and look forward to his visit in December.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 11-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
Mike Neill

Profile:
Tom, for purposes of selecting one of your courses, what's your distinction between beginner and intermediate KB lifters?
Old 11-18-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Tom,
Thank you again for the seminar I attended in September it was excellent. Even for an experienced kettlebell user it was super informative..

Mike, my take would be this, if you've never done a clean or a snatch with a kettlebell you are a beginner. If you can snatch and clean with some level of confidence and proficiency than you are intermediate. Although Tom, may have another means of distinction.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Thanks Skip and Pierre for your endorcement! It means a lot coming from guys with such impressive backgrounds in the fitness world.

In my beginner's class, we learn to rack and press the KB, to deadlift and squat with it, and to swing the KB, first to the waist level, then the chest level. We also learn how to "pull" the KB to our chest level, and our forehead level, which are the transition moves to learn the clean and the snatch, respectively.

IMO, you should learn to pull before you clean and/or snatch because you will bang the heck out of your wrist if you just start doing it. You will get decent conditioning from swings in the meantime. Then you will transition from pulls to cleans/snatches as you learn how to punch the handle around the bell. This process should NOT be rushed.

In my intermediate class, we work on cleans and snatches, windmills, Turkish Get Ups, 1-Legged DLs, various double KB drills, and variations of the basics.

Mike,

if you can swing, press, squat and snatch with OK form, come to my intermediate class. If you just do swings, come to my beginner class, and learn my progressions to mastering the basic moves. My classes are all 100% money-back guaranteed, so there is no loss to you except your time. But you may want to listen to what Pierre said - he attended both my classes, and even though he is an intermediate/advanced KBer, he learned a few useful things, and was glad he went to my beginning class.

Please email me at kbfiremantom AT yahoo.com and I can answer your questions in more detail, or we can exchange phone #s and talk about them.

Thanks!