CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Josh Bobrowsky

Profile:
The 7 biggest mistakes new CrossFitters Make

Here are the 7 biggest mistakes people starting out with CrossFit Make

http://*******.com/7-biggest-mistakes...-crossfitters/

Link is safe for work and family
Old 12-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: The 7 biggest mistakes new CrossFitters Make

My version would have been:

1. Not having clear goals; failing to revisit them periodically
2. Not ensuring that the workout program that you're getting on meets those goals; this includes not only what you do but how often you do it.
3. Not ensuring that your nutrition supports those goals; this is more than just "poor diet." It is the right foods, liquids, vitamins, minerals, etc...to support your goals, and enough of them.
4. Failing to take periodic breaks from CF; recharge the batteries, sharpen the saw.
5. Failing to find a mentor / coach who can help keep you on track
6. Making it your life; failing to understand that it's just a workout program and that being able to keep doing it long-term means making it an integral part of your life but not your entire life.
7. Failing to make -- and keep -- it fun. Once it becomes just another chore that you "have to go do today," you're at risk of burning out.

- Mark
Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
James Gist

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post

4. Failing to take periodic breaks from CF; recharge the batteries, sharpen the saw.

- Mark
Not to derail this thread, but I am curious about #4 Mark. Are you talking about some kind of periodization scheme over the course of say 4 weeks...or more like completely take a week off every 2 months.

I am just curious because I haven't seen much discussion on taking breaks from Crossfit. When I started a year ago I asked the trainer how often people come and he basically said "Come as often as possible".
Old 01-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gist View Post
Not to derail this thread, but I am curious about #4 Mark. Are you talking about some kind of periodization scheme over the course of say 4 weeks...or more like completely take a week off every 2 months.
More like the latter. I handle my time off in a completely unscientific / unplanned manner. Generally though, I try to take some time off (say, a week) whenever I feel any combination of: low motivation, higher than usual fatigue and/or prolonged soreness, borderline or actual injury, or prolonged sub-par performance. In my three years of doing Crossfit, this has amounted to basically a week off every three months; i.e. every quarter. Again though, I don't plan it at all. I take the signals from my body and react accordingly.

I find that taking a week off usually fixes all of this, unless of course there is an injury requiring more time off.

I think it is important to stay active during the week off. Go for walks, ride a bike, go skiing, etc...; something to keep your blood moving and your muscles active. Take a week off, but don't be a downright lazy bum about it. By the same token, don't take your time off by getting on the bike and riding 75 miles every day.

Quote:
I am just curious because I haven't seen much discussion on taking breaks from Crossfit.
No, I guess it doesn't get discussed all that often.

Quote:
When I started a year ago I asked the trainer how often people come and he basically said "Come as often as possible".
That's a careless (and, really, irresponsible) answer. If you truly go as often as you can, you most likely will eventually experience the very issues that I described above. You will overwork and/or burn out. You simply won't get the rest that the body requires in order to rebuild from all of the work that you are doing. Remember, one doesn't get stronger in the gym. One gets stronger through the process of recovering from the work done in the gym. If you take "as often as possible" too far, you won't get the chance to recover.

In some sense, treating Crossfit as a long-term endeavor (which one should) is akin to having a long-term job/career. Just as you need a break from your job to recharge both physically and mentally, so do you need a break from CF for the same reasons.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 01-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
James Gist

Profile:

Quote:
That's a careless (and, really, irresponsible) answer.
I agree with you there Mark. It also kind of assumes that the individual doesn't have the common sense to make their own plan. I would much rather have all of the information and be able to make my own decisions.

I went poking around and did find this right in the sticky.

Quote:
- "How many rest days do I take? I'm worried that I might be over-training." - For beginners, it's highly recommended to do 1day on 1day off to start with. Work your way up to 2/1 then 3/1. Common workout schedules for those that have been CF'ing for awhile include 3/1, 3/1/2/1, and 5/2. The most simple answer: Listen to your body. You're not going to lose out on strength by taking a rest day. Quoting one of my favorite characters on here Jamie Skibicki... "You don't get fitter from training, you get fitter from recovering from training." A general rule is to do a half-intensity week every 4-6 weeks to give your body some rest, and also do a complete week off from CF every 3 months or so.
Sounds almost exactly like what you're saying.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Sounds almost exactly like what you're saying.
It is. It's one of the first things that I learned here; maybe even *from* Jamie.

I think the second thing I learned from Jamie was how to be grumpy and sarcastic. I'm still working hard on that.

- Mark
Old 01-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Crissilia Suta

Profile:

Quote:

I am just curious because I haven't seen much discussion on taking breaks from Crossfit. When I started a year ago I asked the trainer how often people come and he basically said "Come as often as possible".
Agree with you there. In my opinion, that's a rather ignorant statement to make as a trainer. Recovery is such an essential part to any fitness regime. You should always listen to your body. Unplanned recovery periods is good when you've come to know your body and its limits, but I find that sometimes it's necessary to plan them out especially if you're an over excited newbie who wants to go hard all day every day. I've seen many clients inflict injuries on themselves (myself including) cause they get overly focused on their goals they forget what their limits really are. I tried the 3/1 resting period which is okay but every individual is different. I find 5/2 works much better for me and for a lot of my clients with full time jobs. But as you continue your CrossFit journey you'll learn when to listen to your body more accurately as what Mark was saying.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Josh Bobrowsky

Profile:

Quote:

1. Not having clear goals; failing to revisit them periodically
2. Not ensuring that the workout program that you're getting on meets those goals; this includes not only what you do but how often you do it.
3. Not ensuring that your nutrition supports those goals; this is more than just "poor diet." It is the right foods, liquids, vitamins, minerals, etc...to support your goals, and enough of them.
5. Failing to find a mentor / coach who can help keep you on track
6. Making it your life; failing to understand that it's just a workout program and that being able to keep doing it long-term means making it an integral part of your life but not your entire life.
7. Failing to make -- and keep -- it fun. Once it becomes just another chore that you "have to go do today," you're at risk of burning out.

- Mark
Mark,

Nice list that you put together there

I really like it. I think that number 6. and 7. are things that happen after a few months. I typically see the 3-6 month mark people make those mistakes
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bobrowsky View Post
Mark,

Nice list that you put together there

I really like it. I think that number 6. and 7. are things that happen after a few months. I typically see the 3-6 month mark people make those mistakes
Thanks, Josh. I admit that I am guilty of several of the things in this list. Nonetheless, even after rereading it several times, I'm pretty happy with it and wouldn't really change much in retrospect.

As for the timing of items 6 and 7, clearly that varies depending upon the athlete, but 3-6 months is probably about right.

- Mark
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
Josh Bobrowsky

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks, Josh. I admit that I am guilty of several of the things in this list. Nonetheless, even after rereading it several times, I'm pretty happy with it and wouldn't really change much in retrospect.

As for the timing of items 6 and 7, clearly that varies depending upon the athlete, but 3-6 months is probably about right.

- Mark
Yeah, its all dependent on the person lol.