CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-15-2003, 09:51 PM   #1
Chris Nelson

Profile:  
I really want to get back into Crossfit asap after dealing with a neck strain that's had me sidelined for 5 weeks. After figuring out that it's not a disc issue and putting me through the requisite therapy, the doc & physical therapist are recommending that I stay away from any "jerky" exercises (i.e. clean & jerks, pull-ups, handstand pushups...) for a while. They're recommending all of the somewhat useless "safe" exercises that I've learned to dispise (weight machines, eliptical, etc.).

While I definitely don't want to set myself back to square one again (walk around like Frankenstein for weeks), I'm also super anxious to start hitting crossfit again. I guess I'm a glutten for punishment!

Any advice?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-16-2003, 05:53 AM   #2
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Hopefully Coach will jump in on this one.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:28 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Chris-

Swings, tabata squats, walking lunges heck dozens of movements can be done in a safe manner. this is the time to start light and ease back into things taking the opportunity to perfect form and technique. Let us know how you approach things and if you need some specific ideas for modifying WOD's
Robb
Old 10-17-2003, 09:03 AM   #4
Chris Nelson

Profile:  
Thanks Rob - good advice!

Would you recommend trying to follow the WOD, and modify as needed? Or, should I just look through the archives and choose workouts that don't look like they contain "potentially dangerous" movements (until I'm back to full speed)? I guess what I'm really wondering, is how important the order & content of the WODs are, spicifically their order/sequence. My intuition is that coach specifically designs the sequence of workouts, as well as the content. In that case, I suppose it would be best to replicate the WODs, as closely as possible.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-17-2003, 04:41 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Chris-

Make the WOD fit your needs. Try to modify as they come to keep you in with the rest of the folks around here.

If you need ideas for alternatives we can help you either here or the front page. Follow a day or two behind so we can plan things out a bit.
Robb