CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Derrick Cannon

Profile:
Need some advice....changing over to an affiliate in Jan

I am changing my current fitness studio to an affiliate in mid Jan. I currently have about 6 trainers that rent space from me to run there own personal training business. A couple of the trainers will get there lv 1 soon so I will use them to help with classes. The others are not really interested in CF. They use my equipment and pay me a flat monthly rate to come in and use my gym as they please. Do any of you allow trainers to run there business from your box? I'm not sure if I want to continue to allow this or make this strictly a CrossFit box and staff with cf coaches only. All advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Derrick
Old 12-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Need some advice....changing over to an affiliate in Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick Cannon View Post
I am changing my current fitness studio to an affiliate in mid Jan. I currently have about 6 trainers that rent space from me to run there own personal training business. A couple of the trainers will get there lv 1 soon so I will use them to help with classes. The others are not really interested in CF. They use my equipment and pay me a flat monthly rate to come in and use my gym as they please. Do any of you allow trainers to run there business from your box? I'm not sure if I want to continue to allow this or make this strictly a CrossFit box and staff with cf coaches only. All advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Derrick
A large part of what makes an affiliate successful is the community, having personal trainers running around doing other stuff may make fostering that difficult. I don't think it makes it impossible...but it is a harder line to toe in my opinion.

Ultimately up to you and you know each of those personalities better than anyone on the internet, so if they are humble, hard working trainers that get results for their clients, probably could work out.

In the end you have to take care of your clients and chase excellence. Don't associate your business with anyone or anything that isn't on par with the level of excellence you desire to achieve.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Lots of issues here. One of the big ones is it is two different business models and price structures. You are in effect going into competition against the trainers who rented space from you.

I'm sure this won't make them very happy.

Diffidently kind of sleazy to cut them off and then in effect steal their clients. Your are not in that big a town that you really want this kind of move getting around.

I can't offer a solution because I'm not sure of your relationship with the trainers and don't know how you plan to introduce people to your CrossFit business. You have a right to do what you want with your building and business. Just a friendly suggestion you give your trainers plenty of time to find other solutions then don't target their clients specifically.

So for example putting up a sign that XYZ Gym is become CrossFit XYZ on a certain date is fine.

Going though your computer records and mailing every personal training member a 1 month free offer while not employing there trainer is not.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Derrick Cannon

Profile:

Thanks to both of you guys for your input.

Brendan I have no desire to take there clients. I don't need there clients. Majority of there clients are not even interested in CrossFit. I have been training for 13 years and have built up a solid base. I have always been a "functional fitness trainer" so introducing my clients to CF was an easy transition. I like to help people out. I have provided these guys with an opportunity similar to what was provided to me years ago. As you stated it's 2 different business models. I am already in business against the trainers. They are independent contractors. They don't work for me. They are responsible for there own advertising, website, or whatever they deem necessary to increase clientele for themselves. In no way am I being sleazy or undermining. I run a straight ship. I'm not in to undercutting for self gain. Doesn't sit we'll with me. I do agree that I need to give the trainers ample time to find other options if I decide to go 100% CrossFit. Thanks for taking time to respond. I appreciate it.

Aushion you make a good point about other trainers running around doing there own thing. New clients assume that I have a lot of trainers working for me , but I let them know that they are independent contractors in business for themselves. It can be a bit confusing to people at times. My concern is that the NON cf-lv1 trainers could start using my affiliate to market themselves as CF trainers. As we all know CrossFit is gaining more and more popularity and I don't want any of the trainers claiming to be CrossFit trainers just because they train their clients at a CrossFit Affiliate. I think that's where it can get a little messy.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
Steve Loeding

Profile:

I think you're going to have to tell the other trainers to find somewhere else to train their clients. If you're switching over to CrossFit only gym, you have to market yourself as such. even the one on one training should be CrossFit based.

It's business.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
Adam Morden

Profile:

We have 3 trainers who don't work for us who rent space like you are talking about at Alchemy CrossFit as well as a staff of 10 CF certified trainers who do work with us. The way we worked around the community issue is simply that the Non-CF individual trainers can only use the gym during non class times. This keeps them from competing for equipment and space, and from distracting from the classes that we offer. I don't know if that type of option would work for you, or if you have multiple rooms, where you could separate the non-CF from CF training. It's worked well for us so far. it allows us to fill the gym in unused time with clients we are unlikely to ever get (some people just will never go for CF) and still bring in some additional revenue.

Cheers
Adam
Old 12-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
Adam Morden

Profile:

Forgot to add, We haven't had any problems with competition between our outside trainers and staff trainers, and we do a fair amount of 1 on 1 training in addition to CF classes.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Derrick Cannon

Profile:

Thanks Adam and Steve. I appreciate your input. Adam I don't have multiple rooms. My box is approx 1750 sq feet with about 1400 of it being workout space. However having them train clients during non class times may work. Steve I see your point and initially I was thinking that may be the best way to handle it.