CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 04-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
Eric Milam

Profile:
Crossfit in Discovery Bay CA

Anyone doing Crossfit in Discovery Bay? I found a small facility yesterday I was considering starting small with 800 sq ft to see how things go. Before I do that I wanted to see how many of us there were since Disco Bay is such a small town.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Crossfit in Discovery Bay CA

Eric, some months ago when I was working at a gym in Antioch, near the bridge, I posted a thread looking for Crossfitters in that area ( my boss herself lived in Brentwood and I would pass through Discovery Bay as that was where a chiropractor had his practice ).

In anycase, there were a few people who sent me some interest but they were out of Brentwood if I remember. I'll see if I can find the thread in my PM box.

Good luck, as I haven't been working in that area in awhile and my plans were halted after my car was totalled last October.

Interesting, I haven't heard of Delta Crossfit yet. Nor can I find the original thread though the search function. If you were interested, I could contact that person and see if they were interested.

Last edited by Blair Robert Lowe; 04-30-2008 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Oops.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Eric Milam

Profile:

Thanks Blair. Delta Crossfit just recently opened in Brentwood...I missed the boat there...just didn't have the funds to pull the trigger.

I started working crossfit in April of 2006 with a guy at my gym (Jim Lark) at the time her was helping to run East Bay Crossfit in Oakland.

I have just be waiting for the right time and opportunity....trying to stay networked. I know that Livermore and possibly Tracy are still good areas. I would also think with Lodi growing the way it is that it may also be a good fit.

Thanks again
Old 05-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
Nathanial Neal

Profile:

Eric take this for what it is worth, but if it interests you do it in Brentwood. That is the beauty of CF any one can go to a cert and affiliate but only the good ones will succeed.

I myself have done CF for almost 2 years and over a year of that with people at my garage. Some worked out at Diablo before joining in with me because of the location. I do not plan on making it a business we just enjoy working out together. There is no charge just donate equipment so we can have more toys. I like it this way so that we have workout partners to push us. Maybe one day if we have enough people than we will rent a shed and make it a coop. I like how Diablo Valley started and I think it is a good business model for were we are located.

The problem with Brentwood is most of the people commute 1hour plus to work everyday so you really need to slowly build a business with multiple training partners. Most small business will not succeed just look how many have gone under in the last year or two. I like the guys that started Delta I even offered them some help a few months back as for locations. So I really hope they succeed. So don’t let another affiliate stop you CF is a name but ultimately it is the affiliate that will keep the client.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Eric Milam

Profile:

Nathan,

You're right, but I would still feel like a jerk if I opened a crossfit facility within 5 miles of them at the same time...especially if I knew they were going in. Me, personally I just wouldn't feel right.

For me right now, my garage is great...except for having no one to push me.

I am sure the perfect opportunity will fall into my lap. Until then just plugging away and waiting...

Your pearls of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Eric
Old 05-02-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Tracy I can definitely see. I'm not sure about Lodi due to per capita income. OTOH, they could have be a lot more money there like the new parts of Stockton than I aware of. Discovery Bay I think with it's population and average income would be a great place to have it. Brentwood may have enough of a population and per capita income and trailing in from the more decent areas of Antioch and Oakley to support more than one CF facility successfully.

Of the founders of Delta Crossfit, neither are the one guy I was talking to. They seem to be more to the downtown, older parts of Brentwood vs the Trader Joe are and Highway 4 bypass. However, that 4 bypass is a good place to be IMO.

With either Tracy or Brentwood, you are going to deal with that commute. I'm sure Discovery Bay is a bit like that as well but I'm thinking there are not as many people who are commuting from there compared to Brentwood. Just my feeling and 2 bits.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
Chris Castillo

Profile:

Eric. Come down and check us out. We are located at 29 spruce st. Check our site for the hours. We are all firemen with sports background who are having a blast passing on fitness to those who are looking for the next level in there fitness. Your right the best thing about being at a crossfit gym is having the competition you get from working out with others. Our goal is to have a place to workout with other people in the area who have the same passion about crossfit and to get others as addicted in their fitness as we are.
Nathan, thanks again for trying to help us out a few months back. Bring your class down and check us out. It would be great to get more crossfit nuts in the shop.