CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
Clara Giffin

Profile:
3er week on Paleo Diet

Hi Everyone,
I m 4' 11" tall and weight 112 lbs and BF% 22 . My goal is to reduce my BF% to 10 and get rid of the extra pounds (12 lbs.). I have tried so many diets Low carb, low fat and hight Prot., hight carb, low fat and low prot. with not results. I workout 6 to 7 days /day . This is my third week doing the Paleo Diet, and it is not taking me anywhere. I dont see the results other people is getting , worst I m really tired .I don't think this is b/c my body is adjusting to the new diet b/c my diet before this was not bad. I didn't drink milk or any dairy foods. The only food I used to have that are not Paleo were oatmeal and Ezekiel bread. So what I m doing wrong?
I m trying to consumed 1400 cals/day so today I had 4 oz. chicken breast, vegetables 1/2 avocado . 4 oz. chicken breast (salad with mixed vegetables) almonds and walnuts and 1/2 apple for snack . Dinner chicken salad with avocado and plenty of vegetables. I used 1 tsb.flax seed oil and olive oil (salad and cooking) .
NOw my question is which should be the macronutrients ratio? I was told that in order to lose weight I need to follow a diet with the following macronutrients ratio: Carb. 15%, Prot.25, and Fat 60% . Not fruit at all , contrary to what the book says (Paleo Solution)
I do cardio and weight training and I m also in the On Ramp CF class.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Clara Giffin : 12-07-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: 3er week on Paleo Diet

What kind of results were you expecting to see in 3 days?

edit: never mind, I misread that to say 3 days, not 3 weeks!

Last edited by Jason Wallis : 12-07-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Clara Giffin

Profile:

Typo : three weeks going to four :0)
Old 12-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
Michael Dries

Profile:

You do realize that, 10% for a woman is equivalent to ~5% for a man right? That's pretty fracking lean and might not be sustainable.

how much cardio do you do? What is your weight training like, is it heavy low rep sets or higher rep. How much sleep are you getting? How stressed are you daily?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

^^ That.

10% for a woman is borderline unhealthy. Unless you're trying to get down there for a figure competition or something, I wouldn't recommend it.

What's your training like? How much sleep are you getting?

1400 calories is pretty low for someone who isn't completely sedentary--maybe try bumping it up by a few hundred calories a day and see how that goes. Read up on elevated cortisol and other problems that can be caused by eating too little while training too much.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Weight is lost due to calories, not macronutrient ratios. Maronutrient ratios may or may not impact the calorie equation. But you can lose weight on any ratio.

Your consuming in the ball park of 1400 calories, working out 6-7 days a week and wondering why your weight isn't budging??? YOUR DOING TOO MUCH!

If I was in your shoes, I would:

1)Eat: meat, fowl, seafood, eggs (assuming no autoimmune disease), vegetables, roots, tubers, and bulbs, animal fats & oils, coconut, olive, avocado and red palm oil.

Limit: nut, seed, and fruit (with the exception of coconut, palm, avocados and olives). Berries, lemons and limes are good choices in the fruit category. Macadamias and cashews are good choices in the nut category.

Avoid:all varieties of wheat (spelt, einkorn, emmer, durum), barley, rye, oats, triticale, corn (maize), rice (including wild rice), sorghum, millet, fonio, and teff.
Grain-like substances or pseudocereals to avoid include: Amaranth, Breadnut, Buckwheat, Cattail, Chia, Cockscomb, Ka˝iwa, Pitseed Goosefoot, Quinoa, and Wattleseed (a.k.a. acacia seed). Pseudocereals are the seeds of broad leaf plants whereas grains are the seeds of grasses.

Avoid or minimize dairy. Fermented options such as cheese and yogurt made from the milk of pastured animals are better options. Heavy cream and butter are typically not problematic but should be avoided by people with autoimmune diseases.

Basically sounds like what you're doing.

2) Lift Heavy weights (Squat, Press, Deadlift,Powerclean) 2-3x week. After lifting, work on some fun gymnastic skill progressions (rope climbs, pull-up progressions, L-sits, back/front levers, frog stands).

3) Possibly walk/bike instead of driving shorter distances

4) Sleep as much as possible. Darkest room possible, no electronics.

This possibly doesn't sound like much working out to you. You might be one of those people that just has to work out lots!!!! But you have to ask yourself, is it working??? I will bet money that what I just prescribed will work!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
Emily Mattes

Profile:

I don't think 1400 calories is all that crazy for a woman her size. She's only 4'11 guys, and not even 115lbs.

Clara, I echo what others say about that 10% body fat goal. That's the sort of body fat composition figure competitors hold on the day of competition--no more than a day at most. It would be pretty unsustainable as a long-term goal.

Because you're so small and at a normal body fat percentage (22% is a pretty healthy number), you will not be able to lose weight as quickly as someone bigger. For you, the 1-2lbs/week rule of thumb is likely too ambitious--you may need to restructure goals to watching for weight loss in half-pound increments.

Cut back the workouts to 4-5 days a week. When you're trying to lose weight, stacking more intense metcons on top of dietary deficit is the best way to overload your body with cortisol and thus encourage it to store more fat.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

First thing I would say is to put away the scale. It is just a number and won't answer the important questions such as how are your clothes fitting? How is your athletic performance?

If you're really tired, you should make sleep a priority. Also, cardio, weight training and CF sounds like a lot. Working out 6-7 days a week, restricting calories and not getting enough sleep is likely creating a stress on your body which responds by elevating your cortisol. Elevated cortisol reduces your insulin sensitivity and makes it much more difficult to lean out.

It may sound counterintuitive, but sometimes you need to dial back the intensity to see improvement. Robb Wolf has blogged + podcasted (is that a word?) quite a bit about this. Google cortisol + overtraining, stress, sleep, etc. for some more information.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I don't think the 1400c is unreasonable, but the wod volume is too much. Sleep more and wod less. Lyle McDonald has some good writing on training and dieting over at his website; he suggest cutting volume by 2/3 (yes, down to 1/3) when doing intense dieting; which you will need to get down to that bf% as a girl.

Less food=less recovery=overtraining/stress=cortisol,etc=no fat loss
Old 12-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
Clara Giffin

Profile:

Hi there!
Thanks to all of you how help me out with some good information. I m increasing my food intake so I ll see what happens. Another question: If I eat too much nuts that would make me gain weight? I m asking you this b/c the owner of the CF center where I go says I can eat all the fat I want but I don't know if this is correct. Also , he suggests not to eat any fruit at all.
Some of you recommend more hours of sleep. I think I m in the right path . It is a rule for me to sleep 7 to 8 hrs. I also drink plenty of water and I stopped using the scale. You guys were right! The scale is not too friendly lately :0) . I do have a pair of skinny pants but I decided not to use it for now.
Concerning to my workout schedule. I do cardio (20 mins. HIIT) after 1 hr. of weight training every other day. On Ramp CF is a class for those who want to become a crossfitter. So the class is about learning techniques and skills. We do have small W"OD that last 20 minutes and yes they are hard for us. Anyway, so the days so overall I m working out 8 hrs./week.
Once again, thanks for all your information.