CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Michael Blazek

Profile:
Need tips to improve running

I am looking to improve my running times and distances between needing rests. I am well aware of POSE and have been reading about it and watching videos. While I want to move in that direction one day, for now I am just looking for drills I can do after WODs to be able to run for longer times with needing rests.

I am 248lbs 25yrs 6'. I have been doing Crossfit since April 1st. I have lost 30 lbs and improved on everything. My 5k time went from 36mins down to 30mins, but for the last 2 months I am stuck at 30mins. I honestly feel like the runs are getting harder. For now I run on a treadmill, and I can typically run for about 1.25 miles at 7.5mph before needing to walk for about a minute or so. After that my lenght between running and walking is only about 3 minutes before the legs just wont go any more.

Hopefully someone can give me some drills to improve. So far what comes to mind is light jogging at high incline, tabata sprints at slight incline, and just run more often. If anyone has better ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
Melissa Urban

Profile:
Re: Need tips to improve running

Michael,

From when I used to run distance (a long time ago)... I used to run the same distances at the same pace, like you are describing below. My body got really used to that, and I found trying to pick up the pace even a little during a 5K or 10K run was difficult. Interval training was a great way to shake it up. I'd do a minute or two at my "normal" pace, then sprint for a minute, then drop back down to my "normal" pace (or a little slower, to catch my breath)... etc. I saw overall time improvements fast after I introduced intervals into my training.

Also, get outside! Treadmills are boooring, and that factor alone can limit your motivation and performance.

Finally, is it your legs that give out first, or your lungs? Either way, I would assume that if you keep working on strengthening your legs (squats, DLs, etc.) AND keep working met-cons through the CrossFit WODs, your running should automatically improve, right?

Melissa

PS Also, I'm a hybrid program girl, so somebody who actually runs more than 800m at a time could probably chime in with better recommendations.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Peter Keller

Profile:

WFS
http://www.crossfitendurance.com/
Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Michael Blazek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Keller View Post
Already looked at it, but maybe I just don't understand how that answers my question...
Old 08-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Blazek View Post
Already looked at it, but maybe I just don't understand how that answers my question...
Run more, get someone to show you how to run correctly.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
Michael Blazek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Run more, get someone to show you how to run correctly.
I guess I wont be getting an answer than...
Old 08-14-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

If you decide to do tabata sprints, reverse the protocol. So it'll be 10 on, 20 off. I used to do tabata sprints the way they were supposed to be done but then I realized that from an all out sprint it takes me 5 seconds to slow down to a stop, which has already wasted half my rest, and by round 4 I could barely cover 150m each round and by 8 I would hit 110m. With 10s on you can maximize your power on the sprints and minimize the drop off from set to set.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
Andrew Gray

Profile:

I would bet the thing that will get you the most bang for your buck with running is just dropping weight. Body weight has a tremendous effect on your running ability. If your goal is to get better at running I would highly recommend you make weight loss/diet your primary focus.

The other thing I would work on is trying to improve how far you can go without stopping. Might try something like this: Go see how long you can run for without stopping, use that time as your starting number. Each week go out and run 1 to 2 minutes longer than the previous week. Along with this time test also get one interval and one longer run in each week. You should be able to do this on top of your regular CF training (which will help you a lot with the weight loss aspect so make sure you keep it up).

Good luck with the training!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Yeah I agree with Melissa. We need to know what your weakness is: your legs or your lungs. Different approaches for different weaknesses.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
Michael Blazek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gray View Post
I would bet the thing that will get you the most bang for your buck with running is just dropping weight. Body weight has a tremendous effect on your running ability. If your goal is to get better at running I would highly recommend you make weight loss/diet your primary focus.

The other thing I would work on is trying to improve how far you can go without stopping. Might try something like this: Go see how long you can run for without stopping, use that time as your starting number. Each week go out and run 1 to 2 minutes longer than the previous week. Along with this time test also get one interval and one longer run in each week. You should be able to do this on top of your regular CF training (which will help you a lot with the weight loss aspect so make sure you keep it up).

Good luck with the training!
Thanks a lot for the advice, I really like that idea. I know my weight is slowing me down, but its funny how in the last 2 months I have lost 2 inches off my waist and lost only 3lbs. Body comp keeps changing but the actual weight is hard to lose. I will try out that run as long as I can thing for a few weeks, should help me shed the extra fat. Oh and my diet is still being dialed in... but its getting there.

Thanks again!