CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #31
Ben Leonard
Member Ben Leonard is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Aberdeen  Scotland UK
Posts: 36
Re: What supplements to take to get the best results

Sorry to thread hi-jack, but since we are gettingonto these topics, may i ask a couple of questions Chris?

Do you think it is safe to take beta alanine every day without taking a break (e.g. cycling) ?

Do you think creatine should be taken every day? My understanding from the reading I have done, is that 5g prior to training is sufficient.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #32
Brad Allen Jones
Banned Brad Allen Jones is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muskegon  MI
Posts: 4,706
Re: What supplements to take to get the best results

Chris has stated that Creatine should be taken every day, training or no training. Not sure about beta-alanine but I suspect it's the same.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #33
Andrew N. Casey
Banned Andrew N. Casey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Abilene  KS
Posts: 2,590
Re: What supplements to take to get the best results

ephedra is cheap and very effective.

i agree creatine should be taken everyday but i don't agree that 5g is the dose for all people. larger males that lift weights regular often see increased results with higher dose.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #34
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: What supplements to take to get the best results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
ephedra is cheap and very effective.

i agree creatine should be taken everyday but i don't agree that 5g is the dose for all people. larger males that lift weights regular often see increased results with higher dose.
Really, like who? I have never known anyone to get better results with more than 5g. I suppose there are a few who might, but I have not run across them and I know some pretty big guys who take creatine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #35
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: What supplements to take to get the best results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Chris has stated that Creatine should be taken every day, training or no training. Not sure about beta-alanine but I suspect it's the same.
Yes, it is the same.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #36
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: What supplements to take to get the best results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Leonard View Post
Sorry to thread hi-jack, but since we are gettingonto these topics, may i ask a couple of questions Chris?

Do you think it is safe to take beta alanine every day without taking a break (e.g. cycling) ?

Do you think creatine should be taken every day? My understanding from the reading I have done, is that 5g prior to training is sufficient.

Thanks
I do not think Beta-Alanine needs to be cycled.

Yes, I believe creatine should be taken daily to receive its full benefits. I do not believe 5g taken solely before training, unless you train 7 days per week, is sufficient to build-up levels in your muscle cells and keep them at an ergogenic level.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 AM   #37
Ben Leonard
Member Ben Leonard is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Aberdeen  Scotland UK
Posts: 36
Re: What supplements to take to get the best results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I do not think Beta-Alanine needs to be cycled.

Yes, I believe creatine should be taken daily to receive its full benefits. I do not believe 5g taken solely before training, unless you train 7 days per week, is sufficient to build-up levels in your muscle cells and keep them at an ergogenic level.
Thanks Chris. I read these forums alot, and you always take the time to help and answer questions - much appreciated
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #38
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: What supplements to take to get the best results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Leonard View Post
Thanks Chris. I read these forums alot, and you always take the time to help and answer questions - much appreciated
My pleasure.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #39
Kevin Yun
Member Kevin Yun is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tauranga  Bay of Plenty
Posts: 6
Re: What supplements to take to get the best results

Thanks guys.. I think I will go and buy some creatine

But what one should I buy/ do you guys recommend? There are like heaps of brands/different creatine products out there... I wish it was easy.. i.e only one typr/brand..
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #40
Andrew Bell
Member Andrew Bell is offline
 
Andrew Bell's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston  TX
Posts: 4,021
Re: What supplements to take to get the best results

For creatine i take Results. For protein I take Nitrean+ or ON Pro complex. I also take 10g of BCAA on lifting days, and 5g on non lift days. For fish oil I take 4g per day of the Nature Bounty brand that have 980mg of the good stuff per pill. I also take a multi every day.

Never take a pre workout anymore. I taken quite a few, NO Shotgun was my favorite back in the day.

Brad, get off the gas and get on the diesel bud!
__________________
| Log (wfs) |
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you stay ready, you ain't got to get ready Cassie Crosby Workout Logs 28 08-26-2010 06:34 AM
If you stay ready, you ain't got to get ready! Cassie Crosby Workout Logs 0 07-22-2010 07:56 AM
New and Ready! Leigh Howard Starting 15 07-17-2010 03:30 PM
New and ready Arlo Holmes Starting 1 08-11-2009 12:27 AM
On being ready Bert Brams Fitness 3 11-21-2005 10:28 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.