CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Ryan Holmes

Profile:
This is what I do, am i ready for CF?

I have been lurking here and am really inspired my this site. I have added some elements of CF to my workouts, mainly pace and more PU's. I think my trainer is prepping me for a CF style of workout any way, but I only see hmi and change things up like every three months or longer. I am tempted to jump into the scaled WOD's what do you think? I am sort of attached to getting faster stronger and better with the workout I have but variety right?

This is my workout
Hi I currently perform a workout that I got from a great local trainer, but I am enjoying this learning process so much i would like to invite advice and feeback!

Me 6'2 @203# down from 217 about a year ago.
36 year old male soon.

My workout: every other day
500 meter warm up on rowing machine OR 1minute jumping jacks with 5# dumbells alternating with swiss ball plank leg extensions 3X(I don't know what these are called!)

Dynamic stretch-punters kick and lateral leg swings.

Shoulder prehab stuff

3x6-10 95# Back Squat to Dumbell pushup row 20# 3-4 per side with row at top of pushup with wide leg stance.

3x Deadlift135 # 6-10 to 10-12 dumbell swing 30#.

3x Bench Bar 135# or dumbell45# 6-10 to Pull up 10reps 4 real, 6 jumping to complete. I have been Kipping since finding this site.

3x Front squat 8-10 to push press 10 reps. 65# started doing these as one motion.

3x hanging leg raise 10reps to full sit up 10 reps to some sort of twisting excersise.

2-3 times a week I run during a round of disc golf. For an hour I run, sprint, walk and concentrate, I love this! a reason to run and hilly too.

I guess these are supersets in the traditional sense? I do them with no rest between say bench and pull ups and rest 90 sec between sets. and maybe 2 minutes between these groups.

I have been doing this workout in about 50 minutes.

I guess my question is should I continue with this any longer, start the scaled WOD's or ask my trainer who is Crossfit certified to start teaching me the other lifts. I am training simply to enjoy the sports I do hockey, surf, softball etc. Thanks and I will continue lurking reading and watching, and of course working out!
Old 09-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: This is what I do, am i ready for CF?

I think you could easily start doing scaled WODs, and work your way to rx'd ones. You have the motivation, perhaps you just need the push....

so there it is!

Go for it, if you need to scale, scale! If your trainer is CF certified definitely drag as much information out of them that is possible.

Everyone is ready for CrossFit, they just don't always know what level to start with. I suggest going with the Brand X scaled versions and working up from there.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Ryan, I didn't read your post, but yes, you're ready for CF. Scale if you have to. If you still have questions, there's bound to be somebody in your town who can help. Happy CFing.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Ryan Holmes

Profile:

Alright then its settled, here I go.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Rollo Hilbery

Profile:

Alot of people get worried that they are not capable when they see not only the WOD's but the reps that are subscribed.

the only way to be capable of doing CF is by doing it. Not doing other routines in preparation, but the real thing. I started 2 weeks ago and obviously i scale massivley, and i am not going full out yet, but at last i found a w/o that i look forward too and actaully has benefits.

Just get stuck into it, the only way to learn.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
Brad Gilliatt

Profile:

Ryan - you'll be fine. Time to just do it.

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Ryan Holmes

Profile:

Today I did:
21 15 9 of 65# rack jerk and jumping pull ups 5:15 seconds.
7 each side TGU's with 8 pound DB
10 burpees
10 OHS 45#
10 jumping PU

Loved this it took 15 minutes and I was really focused! Can't wait to learn the rest of the Oly lifts, this feels more like playing than my normal workouts, I got nervous before I started and I know thats a sign of progress from my track and rugby days. You know you are about to have a chance to perform to your potential and it is going to be painful and then rewarding. I kept everything doable today and Am really focused on form.

Thanks for the push and allllllllllll this great info I have found what I was looking for!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
Ryan Holmes

Profile:

Did Fran with 65 # and couldn't really Kip on the too low bar so I did the swing jump part of the kipping progression that EVA T shows, tiny jump but still a jump.
8:15.. I think I had some water and then remembered to check my time.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #9
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Ryan?

You've answered your own question; you belong here. If you're doing a scaled Fran in 8 minutes and change, absolutely you belong here.
Who'd have thought so many of us have a latent masochistic streak, eh?

It truly is fun, despite (or maybe because of) the pain. But addiction to the kool-aide really kicks in after about 6 weeks, when you hit a repeat on a WOD, and see how far you've progressed.

t
Old 10-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #10
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Hi Ryan. Great start man! Keep posting.