CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #1
Justin Snodgrass

Profile:  
Hi all,
I have lifted and done cardio for 8+ years... etc.. the usual story. I way dying for a change. This seems perfect. I'm still reading and learning the WOD system and exercies, but will be starting tomorrow. I'll have some weeks of crazy soreness to come I'm sure.

My only question is.. Aside from sports, MMA training, etc is the WOD your main workout? Just want to make sure I get the most out of it.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
Patrick Datoc

Profile:
Justin-
I started in January and have found that the WOD is all you need to do.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Justin welcome to Crossfit. Some incorporate the WOD with their personal work-out or profession. You'll get plenty of response here.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
George Cazenavette

Profile:
In several WOD's, i have seen 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps
this has been done for dead lift and squats. Does this mean seven sets consisting of one rep each?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Welcome to CrossFit, Justin!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
Ian Carver

Profile:
Justin- Welcome aboard. I pretty much stick with the WOD as my main workout for the day. Going as hard as I can leaves me completely gassed. If it's a short workout, then I'll work on other weak areas to develop skill and function in that discipline while still maintaining a decent level of exertion, albeit a bit lower than during the WOD. After recovering, I will occassionally take on some of my other athletic endeavors. I then sleep like a Heroin addict through the night (or day in my graveyard world).

The WOD is often times plenty for most folks. Some CF'ers do two WODs a day every once in a while and others supplement the WOD with other exercise. I personally stay very strong, maintain muscle/body weight (195), keep the body fat below 10%, and have great endurance on primarily just the WODs.

This stuff works, no doubt about it. Experiment and see where it takes you and what you can accomplish. Start out in moderation and scale up as you get in the groove. It comes down to how well you recover and your personal goals, needs, etc. as to whether you need, or want, to do more. Have fun and take care.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:46 PM   #7
Justin Snodgrass

Profile:  
Thank you for the welcome all. Great info Ian, thanks. Once I get the exercises down with good form, I think I will just give the WOD's 110% and then see where that puts me after 3 months.

I have been lifting and doing cardio for over 8 years now. My first WOD yesterday proved to me that I have just been spinning my wheels with my routine runs and muscle isolation work outs. I have a decent build at 184# and 6ft, but as I am learning from trying out some of the exercises and from yesterday's WOD, I have NO strength or stamina. I am so glad that I found this site.

I'm looking foward to getting to know some of the folks around the message board.

Thanks again,
-Justin