CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-05-2004, 12:25 PM   #1
GregE.

Profile:  
Well, I've lurked about here for the last month and have been trying to learn a bit about the Crossfit method and today (after finally getting an oly weight set for my garage this past weekend) I started with the WOD from Sunday. It's been about a month since I've worked out with the holidays and a battle with a cold, so I took it easy enough with the weight. Sounds like I should probably ease into the WOD's anyway as I'm best described as a 'heavyweight' at 6'3" and around 250 (with too many pounds of lard). I'm hoping my diet and the WOD's manage to bring me down to the lower 200 range and maybe a single digit bodyfat level (which I've never experienced before). Anyway, if theres any advice anyone wants to give, I'm listening. Right now I do have a few questions. 1. As far as days like this past Sunday with the 3-2-2-1-1-1 schedule, we're supposed to just go as heavy as possible with proper form correct? What about rest periods? Am I supposed to rest for a few minutes between each set? Also, I notice that some people go ahead and throw in another workout afterward. Is that pushing the method a little or is it cool? 2. I can barely get two good pullups right now, so knowing that pullups are such a large part of the program, if I see something calling for 15 pullups, should I just work on as many regular pullups followed by maybe 12 negatives? Or should I just work on doing what I can do and moving on? 3. I know I saw this on here somewhere, but I cant remember, when looking for a substitute for a 400 meter run or something, is it safe to just find out how long the run would take me and do jumprope for that length of time? I'll be working out at home.

Well, thats all I can think of for now, back to work time anyway, but I'd appreciate any helpful advice. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2004, 03:58 PM   #2
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Greg,

Welcome to Crossfit. You've joined an awesome community of athletes.

I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

1. Yes, go as heavy as possible with proper form. When in doubt, reduce the load. If the rest period is not stated, then it's "rest only as needed." Take this as a reprieve because rest is not something you'll get much of in CrossFit.

2. Regarding pull-ups, I think your idea is fine. Pull-ups are the limiting factor for many people in terms of scoring well on the WOD. You'll find lots of advice on pull-ups if you do a search on this message board. The basic advice is - just do lots of pull-ups, if you can do a few reps, sprinkled throughout the day, that seems to help.

3. I use the jump rope for time substitute for the run, using the formula you mentioned. Dumbbell swings are also a good substitute.

Check out the FAQ at http://www.mitymous.net/weights/xfitfaq.htm
Old 01-05-2004, 04:25 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Welcome Greg, and Jon - thanks for plugging the FAQ! You beat me to it. Regarding your question about adding additional work after the WODs, my advice is to play it by ear. Some folks here are training for a sport in addition to Crossfitting, and some of us are just masochists. You should judge based on a) your goals and b) how you're feeling. Most WODs leave me too wiped out to do something else, but if it's more up my alley (I'm a powerlifter and so am used to multiple exercises in the low rep range) I may add on. YMMV...
Old 01-05-2004, 07:28 PM   #4
GregE.

Profile:  
Thanks for the info, I definitely appreciate the link to the FAQ and thanks for putting it together. I'll have to say I'm certainly excited about getting rolling with the crossfit program and hope to be totally into gear as soon as possible. I love the idea of something so challenging and diverse. Hopefully it beats me back into the shape I was during regular scholastic athletics, or well, even better shape considering I know more know than I did then. Anyway, if I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask and keep reading. Thanks!