CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Catherine Edel Sligh

Profile:
Bloodwork

What bloodwork tests should I ask specifically ask for...? When I have had Bloodwork previously (especially on base - I am AF spouse) I have never gotten a print out report or analysis. I've been told that "all is normal" and just accepted that...

Now that I am getting into this lifestyle I have realized the importance of taking responsibility for my own health and want to get an idea of where I am at.

Silly question I know probably but I just have no idea what to ask for....

Also if anyone knows a good website where I can actually decipher the results (ie:see what normal or average range numbers for each area should be) I would very much appreciate it....

Thanks a million....
Old 03-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Jana Frank

Profile:
Re: Bloodwork

Hi

If I were you, I wouldn't ask for specific blood tests because you probably don't need them. What you probably receive is a general blood test. Specific ones, which you can ask for and also pay for a few hundred dollars from your pocket (if there is no indication to do them), are 'reserved' for people who work in a work environment that asks for these kind of tests or if a person's medical state requires it. For example, if you worked in a laboratory with HIV or other viruses, you'd receive your complete blood test with a strong emphasis on your immune system components at least every 6 months. They wouldn't test you for rheumatoid arthritis or cancer markers routinely though because there is no indication for it.

What you can do, and it should be free of charge, is ask your physician to explain the tests to you.

A basic blood test, with the reference values, would be something like below (more or less):

s-glucose 65-110 mg/dL
s-creatine 0.4-1.1mg/dL
s-bilirubine (total) 0.3-1 mg/dL
s-bilirubine (direct) 0.1-0.3 mg/dL
s-bilirubine (indirect) 0.1-0.7 mg/dL
s-total proteins 6-8 g/dL
s-cholesterol total <200 mg/dl
total cholesterol is more a 'guideline'. As in my case, my total cholesterol is way > 200 but this is because my 'good' cholesterol is extremely high.
s-cholesterol HDL (good cholesterol) >35 mg/dl
S-AST (=GOT) 5-40 U/L
A-ALT (=GPT) 5-40 U/L

the latter two are two enzymes used as indicators of fatty liver disease.

As far as cells go the standard would probably be

white blood cells 4-11x10^3/microL
red blood cells 4.2-5x10^6/microL
(hemoglobine 12-16 g/dL (linked to red blood cells)
lymphocytes 1-4x10^3/microL

If you were ever vaccinated against something, perhaps checking your antibodies against what you were vaccinated against is useful after several years have passed (10+ let's say, depending on a vaccine). This is how you know when you need a booster.

Last edited by Jana Frank : 03-12-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Catherine.
Let's start with the basics...... Your age .
Old 03-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Catherine.
Let's start with the basics...... Your age and do you have insurance.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Catherine Edel Sligh

Profile:

39 yrs 190 lbs 5 foot 6 yep to insurance
Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Edel Sligh View Post
39 yrs 190 lbs 5 foot 6 yep to insurance

sorry catherine for the late reply. Sometime life gets in the way.

Remember that you need to discuss this with your primary doctor and how it applies to you. What i am suggesting is simple bloodwork and pretty standard.

so..
complete blood count
general chemistry including magnesium level

a1ac or glycolated hemoglobin --- help to see how much sugar is on your rbc and whether diabetes is present. Will help to understand you eating pattern.

triglycerides -- this will include your cholesterol level.

Free t3
free t4
tsh this will look at your metabolism and see if your possible hypothyroid, I recall you were having issues with weightloss. This test will shed a great deal of light as to a possible reason for the problem

ferritin is the precursor to iron and red blood cell production which will provide some information if anemia is gooding to be a problem.

asking for hormone levels, is largely unnecessary at your age and for the most part its hard to get an accurate level as female hormone fluctuate daily... there are not that stable.

Again, explore this with your md .

as to the results... the results are going to vary from reference to reference and lab to lab. What is considered to abnormal in your area could be normal in another. Again, discuss with your primary.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana Frank View Post
Hi

If I were you, I wouldn't ask for specific blood tests because you probably don't need them. What you probably receive is a general blood test. Specific ones, which you can ask for and also pay for a few hundred dollars from your pocket (if there is no indication to do them), are 'reserved' for people who work in a work environment that asks for these kind of tests or if a person's medical state requires it. For example, if you worked in a laboratory with HIV or other viruses, you'd receive your complete blood test with a strong emphasis on your immune system components at least every 6 months. They wouldn't test you for rheumatoid arthritis or cancer markers routinely though because there is no indication for it.

What you can do, and it should be free of charge, is ask your physician to explain the tests to you.

jana...
perhaps in slovenia this will occur .. but in north america, it is pretty much illegal to have hiv screening as part of a employment regardless of position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana Frank View Post
A basic blood test, with the reference values, would be something like below (more or less):

s-glucose 65-110 mg/dL
s-creatine 0.4-1.1mg/dL
s-bilirubine (total) 0.3-1 mg/dL
s-bilirubine (direct) 0.1-0.3 mg/dL
s-bilirubine (indirect) 0.1-0.7 mg/dL
s-total proteins 6-8 g/dL
s-cholesterol total <200 mg/dl
total cholesterol is more a 'guideline'. As in my case, my total cholesterol is way > 200 but this is because my 'good' cholesterol is extremely high.
s-cholesterol HDL (good cholesterol) >35 mg/dl
S-AST (=GOT) 5-40 U/L
A-ALT (=GPT) 5-40 U/L

the latter two are two enzymes used as indicators of fatty liver disease.

As far as cells go the standard would probably be

white blood cells 4-11x10^3/microL
red blood cells 4.2-5x10^6/microL
(hemoglobine 12-16 g/dL (linked to red blood cells)
lymphocytes 1-4x10^3/microL

If you were ever vaccinated against something, perhaps checking your antibodies against what you were vaccinated against is useful after several years have passed (10+ let's say, depending on a vaccine). This is how you know when you need a booster.
Lab results differ here in the USA.
again, having titre done, is a good idea, but is not done for the general public unless there is an indication like, going travelling and working abroad, or going into a high dense people career like healthcare, or say corrections/prison system.